Saturday, March 18, 2017

This Weeks Looks: Morphe, MAC, Stila, and Tom Ford


This week was stressful for me. We had a snow day from work on Tuesday because of the blizzard, and I guess that kind of thing makes a lot of people happy, but not me. For one, it messed up all of my schedules at work which meant that I had to play catchup the rest of the week and handle the fallout. Two, fun fact about me, I absolutely loathe the snow. I am from the Southwest, and I always thought I would love snow if I ever got to live in an area with that kind of weather because I really hated the oppressive heat of my region. But, alas, I never liked it. And it has come to the point now where I detest it. Because in NYC, the snow makes everything about living here (which is already very hard) so much harder. And when it lingers, like it has this week, it continues to make everything challenging. 

I am a person who is affected by the weather. I think because I grew up with an abundance of sun and a complete lack of weather, I am more strongly affected than others. The winter is by far my least favorite time of year. I hate the cold, I hate the weather, and I hate how long it lasts. And the fact that the snow this week (which wasn't even close to how bad it was predicted to be, by the way) has negatively affected my commute, activities, and work responsibilities has left me a little tired today. I also realized that I completely forgot to take a picture of my makeup one day, which shows just how out of it I have been. 

But based on my makeup choices this week, I'd say I'm pushing for spring, even if it's just on my face. 

Here are four looks I did this week. 

Look 1: Morphe 35T shadow and MAC Cranberry





Morphe shadow on the lid, Makeup Geek Cupcake blended into the crease, and MAC Cranberry padded on the outer corner and blended into the crease. 

Look 2: Stila Glitter and Glow Into the Blue





Stila Into the Blue on the lid and Colourpop 23 blended into the crease. 

Look 3: Tom Ford Honeymoon 2 and 3





2 on the inner lid and 3 on the outer lid.

Look 4: Tom Ford Honeymoon 1 and 3




1 on the inner lid and 3 on the outer lid (all over Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy). 


Morphe 35T shadow 
Status: Keep

This is the only shadow I have left from the Morphe 35T palette. I liked so many of the shades when I first bought the palette (and I am not a Morphe fan by any stretch), but found I was never reaching for it because there were just so many shadows. So I decided to depot it and only keep the shadows I really liked. And that was when I started really seeing how similar all the shadows were. Not even to other shadows in my collection, but to other shadows in the palette. Over time, I've continued to whittle down the shadows I kept from this palette. And then I was just left with this one. It's a "rose gold" that isn't very gold. It's more like a "pink gold" color. If I had a single like this from another brand that was prettier or higher quality, I would ditch this shadow too. But I really like the color, so I'm going to keep it. 

MAC Cranberry
Status: Love

I paired the Morphe shadow with Cranberry, which is one of the three MAC shadows I still have. I really love this color and think it works so well as a lid shade or something to deepen a look. I received so many compliments on this look, and I think it's because of Cranberry. I definitely think the Morphe shadow is pretty, but Cranberry does all the work in this look. 

Stila Glitter and Glow Into the Blue
Status: Keep, for now

When I look at this product in the packaging, there is a very clear blue-purple duochrome mixed in with gold. However, it didn't transfer onto my lids like that. On my lids, it was a very sparkly blue. I definitely thought it was pretty, and I enjoyed the look, but it wasn't what I was expected or what I wanted. I continue to struggle with taking pictures of the Stila Glitter and Glows because they are so shiny that when my flash hit them, it makes it look like there is no product on my lid. I was able to capture something closer to what it looks like with my flash off, but it still doesn't do it justice. So I am keeping this product for now and seeing how I use it. Like I said, I do think it's a beautiful product and preforms well. It just wasn't what I expected. If I don't use it, however, I will declutter. 

Tom Ford Honeymoon
Status: Love

I'll say upfront that if you have been eyeing Honeymoon for a while but just can't justify the price, don't buy it. And I say that because it is really easy to duplicate the colors in this palette at a fraction of the price. MAC Cranberry, for example, is a slighter bluer-toned version of the 3 shade, and I think Cranberry is a little prettier. The other shades are really neutral and easy to duplicate. So, you might ask why I love this quad and am keeping it if I just provided reasons not to buy it. And I'm keeping it because I really love this specific Tom Ford formula. I've owned four Tom Ford quads (Honeymoon, Nude Dip, Cocoa Mirage, and Golden Mink) and have owned one Charlotte Tilbury quad (Dolce Vita), which many people compare to Tom Ford. Of all of these quads, I only have Honeymoon and Nude Dip left. I did not feel the others were worth the money at all (especially Cocoa Mirage if you have a warm skin tone or prefer peach tones), and not only were they not worth the money, I actively disliked all the formulas. The formula of Nude Dip and Honeymoon are the same and different from the others. I find both quads really lovely to work with and incredibly shiny. I can't get over the shine sometimes, and I love that. They feel luxurious to me in a way that the others ones simply felt like a waste of money. Even still, they are a luxury item. And you can absolutely find products that are fantastic and lovely at a much cheaper price. 

No comments:

Post a Comment