Saturday, March 11, 2017

This Week's Looks: Kiko, Inglot, Coloured Raine, Stila, and Fyrinnae


I didn't make a conscious effort to use singles this week; I just gravitated toward what I wanted. And since I used my Inglot palette, I felt like I was maybe getting back into the swing of palettes. But then I remembered that my Inglot palette is essentially singles that I packaged together. So I guess I'm still on the singles kick. 

I heard this week that a sequel to Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance is in the works. And already everyone is freaking out. And they don't even know what the palette will look like. I know Modern Renaissance is beloved by so many, and as I've mentioned here, it just was not a palette I enjoyed whatsoever. And in thinking about a sequel or sister palette to MR, I figured it could potentially be a palette I enjoy. After all, I am really fond of my ABH singles. And then I thought that it is so unlikely that every single shadow will be totally unique to my collection and even more unlikely that—whatever it looks like—I would buy each shadow individually. 

And just like that, I don't care about that sequel or sister palette. Using all of my palettes and then using my singles after have taught me that. Using singles feels like such a treat compared to confining myself to palettes. And as you can see, I'm still very much enjoying that freedom. 

Here are five looks I did last week. 

Look 1: Kiko Long Lasting Stick in 36 Golden Mauve





Kiko Golden Mauve on the lid and Kat Von D Clementine blended into the crease.

Look 2: Inglot 39 shine, 311 matte, and 392 matte





39 shine on the lid and 311 matte and 392 matte blended into the crease. 

Look 3: Coloured Raine Super Star and Bobbi Brown Camel






Coloured Raine Super Star on the lid and Bobbi Brown Camel blended into the crease.

Look 4: Stila Glitter and Glow in Sunset Cove and Colourpop Silver Lining and 143






Stila Sunset Cove on the lid and Colourpop Silver Lining and 143 blended into the crease.

Look 5: Fyrinnae Pyromantic Erotica and Bobbi Brown Camel






Fyrinnae Pyromantic Erotica on the lid and Bobbi Brown Camel blended into the crease. 


Kiko Long Lasting Stick in 36 Golden Mauve
Status: Keep, but disappointed

I get that the status of this product is confusing and contradictory. I absolutely love the color of this shadow stick, but after a few hours of wear, it creases on me. And that's frustrating because I have two other Kiko Long Lasting Sticks that do not crease whatsoever, so this is a problem specific to Golden Mauve. Because it underperforms, I feel like I should declutter it, but I really love the color and love how easy it is to apply and go. I thought Golden Mauve paired beautifully with Kat Von D Clementine, and I was really happy with the look overall. I was just less than impressed to see it creasing when the rest of my shadows do not.

Inglot 39 shine, 311 matte, and 392 matte
Status: Favorite

When I used this palette in my one week, one palette series, I gushed about how much I loved it and how sad it made me to have to move on to another palette. And I've been trying to make my way through my collection before repeating too much, but I couldn't help it this week. I was aching to use this palette again and create one of my all-time favorite eye looks. I call it having "sherbet eyes," and I love them. 

Coloured Raine Super Star
Status: Love 

Oh man, I love this shadow. After I had tried the shadows in the Queen of Hearts palette and was totally blown away, I ordered a few more Coloured Raine shadows (this was months ago). I never got around to trying Super Star because I felt it would not be work-appropriate. As I mentioned in a post earlier this week, short of wearing electric eyeshadow, I'm wearing whatever I like to work now. So I finally tried Super Star and I have been kicking myself for not trying it sooner. I cannot tell you how much I love this shadow. Yes, it can be a bit "in your face," but it is also really, really lovely. Definitely a stand-out from the brand in my opinion. 

Bobbi Brown Camel
Status: Love

So this (stupid) shadow has caused me so much grief. I never wanted to buy it because it's a matte brown and I have so many of those. Plus, Bobbi Brown shadows are very expensive and I've heard that some are not the best quality. But still, I felt like there was a color somewhere between mustard and brown that I couldn't quite replicate in my collection. I finally decided to purchase Camel this week and fully expected to swatch it next to every brown in my collection and be sickened with the reality that I had so many duplicate shades. So, I bought it, and I indeed swatched it and every other brown shadow in my collection. I was shocked to find that, in fact, I did not have a duplicate shadow. And that it was that elusive color I had been searching for. To be clear, I don't recommend buying an expensive shadow when you have suitable replacements, but for me personally, this was a very specific color I had wanted for a while that suits my skin tone very well. 

Stila Glitter and Glow in Sunset Cove 
Status: Love

I mentioned in an earlier post that I really loved the Stila Glitter and Glow liquid eyeshadows. They recently released duochrome versions that looked really pretty and unique to my collection, so I decided to purchase. The pictures of this do it no justice whatsoever, and I think that's because the flash hits the duochrome in an unflattering way. I did wear this to work, and it was by far the boldest look I've worn thus far. It was bold solely because of Sunset Cove. It is incredibly sparkly. And even though I felt slightly worried that I had pushed the boundaries too far at work (thankfully I wear glasses so it helps a bit), I couldn't get over how pretty my eye look was that day. 

Colourpop Silver Lining  
Status: Really enjoy

I've talked about this shadow before, so I won't repeat myself too much. From what I have heard from nearly everyone, this shadow to everyone else is complete garbage. But I really like it. It works so well and I do not see whatsoever what is so terrible about it. I am convinced at this point that I just got a magical batch of Silver Lining that was great among the other really terrible batches. There is no other explanation because I cannot fathom why anyone thinks it's crap. 

Colourpop 143
Status: Love

This is one of Colourpop's best shadows, in my opinion. I enjoy that's it's a raspberry take on all the popular red shadows. I have a warm undertone, so I usually think the warmer the better for me, but I suppose the slight olive in my skin also makes select cool-tones flatter me as well. The coolness of this shade works really well for me, and I love it. 

Fyrinnae Pyromantic Erotica
Status: Favorite

My love affair with Fyrinnae continues. This shadow is also from the Arcane Magic line, which means that, while not duochrome, it looks different depending on how close it is to light. I absolutely love this shadow. It is like the gold version of Bobbi Brown Camel for me. It's the perfect mix between gold, brown, and mustard. Paired with Camel, I thought this was one of the prettiest golden eye looks I have ever done. I continue to be impressed with Fyrinnae that they can have such beautiful eyeshadows that are neutral and completely unique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment