Thursday, March 9, 2017

What I'm Not Buying: Too Faced Love Light Highlighters


Too Faced has released "new" highlighters, which means that they are releasing a totally run-of-the-mill product that everyone already has in new packaging. 

And I won't be buying. 

Let me share something. If you've read my blog at all, you'll know that Too Faced is pretty much my most disliked mainstream brand. I don't appreciate their hype/hysteria marketing tactics or that they value presentation and gimmick so much more than quality of product. 

And it pains me to say this, but when I first saw photos of these highlighters months ago, I had a moment of, "I have to have that."

And while that moment is embarrassing to me, I'm glad it happened because I feel I can relate so much more to everyone out there thinking, "I have to have that."

But here is the brutal truth: No, you don't. 

You see, there is absolutely nothing special about this product at all except for the fact that it is in a shiny heart-shaped compact and that the powder itself is diamond cut. That's it, folks. There is literally nothing else exciting about this product. 

Let me show you what I mean. Here is the product everyone is drooling over:



And here is the reality:


After looking at the above photo, do you still feel the same "I have to have it" urge?

My guess is not. 

If you need more convincing, here are some swatches of the Too Faced Love Light highlighters:


Photo: Makeup and Beauty Blog

And here are swatches of Makeup Revolution highlighters:


Both of these pictures have swatches that are heavily applied, much more than would ever be on the face. And while the colors are not exact, the tones are so similar. 

I've mentioned this before, but a highlighter is a highlighter is a highlighter. And this is coming from someone who has quite a few highlighters. This is one product that I really do not understand why people continue to buy. Personally, I have four highlighters plus the Anastasia Beverly Hills Gleam and Moonchild Glow Kits. That's a ton of highlighter! And what I can tell you from owning so many is that they are not all that different. I have decluttered even more highlighters, and the ones that I've kept are different enough and there are things I like about each. But at the end of the day, even though they are different enough, for the exception of Moonchild, for the most part, they all look like a sheen on my face. That's it. And when I discovered that, I decided I would not buy another highlighter. 

To bring this point home even more, I want to share a fantastic photo I found:


Photo: Juliasallure

If you look closely at the names of each swatch, you'll see that there are some very hyped highlighters here: Laura Geller Gilded Honey, Becca Champagne Pop, MAC Whisper of Gilt, Becca Opal, etc. Even applied heavily, they all look the same!

We all know that Too Faced relies solely on their packaging and gimmicks, and I honestly think they may be trying to copy Becca with the diamond-cut design:



So even that—the thing that's making people feel they need this product—isn't even unique. 

In the weeks leading up to the release of the Love Light highlighters, I read about so many people freaking out that they had to have them. And, like I said, I understand the initial feeling of wanting the shiny pretty heart-shaped thing, but at this point, what does a plain highlighter bring to the table? Nothing. What does it bring to people's collection who already have at least one highlighter? Nothing

And when these released, I saw people counting down the seconds before they could purchase. Guys, I try not to judge as everyone is different and for some people makeup is a very serious and passionate hobby. But I just don't want to be the type of person who stalks a makeup launch. Especially for a product that's not even unique or new. 

From my own collection, I have plenty to satisfy any and all cravings for a new highlighter. Too Faced isn't a company that I like to support, and I no longer trust that their new releases are high quality. They know the products don't have to be. Consumerism is so rampant that people will stalk a makeup release and spend $30 on a heart-shaped compact of powder that they likely already have. Throw in some artificial smell and it will be a best-seller. Pretend that it's limited edition and the website will crash. For me, my Becca highlighters still work great even though they are now "old news." I love mine (I've even hit the pan on Moonstone), and I have no need to buy hype power. So I won't. 

3 comments:

  1. I swatched these in Sephora yesterday, and they were underwhelming. Just sort of thin and more glittery than I care for. Yes, the packaging is pretty but that seems to be Too Faced's focus these days. All pomp and circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you buy the Natural Love palette?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! And I actually just wrote a post about it.

      Delete