Tuesday, March 14, 2017

What I'm Not Buying: Too Faced Natural Love Palette


In a move that surprised absolutely no one, Too Faced has come out with another palette. And not only that, but it's a giant 30-shadow palette. Adding insult to injury, it's a palette that is filled with shadows found all throughout Too Faced's other palettes. 

And, shockingly, I won't be buying. 

(Deep breath.)

I have really, really had it with Too Faced and their bullshit. And yes, I'd say this palette is bullshit. 

This is the least-inspired, so transparently money-grabbing palette I've seen from Too Faced this year, which is really saying something since pretty much every single release they have done has been that. This palette is not only filled with colors that we have seen done twenty times over, but Too Faced is flat-out acknowledging that this palette is filled with colors already in their palettes. So that means that all the people who are diehard Too Faced lovers will be buying and gushing over shadows that they already own. And all the bloggers and YouTube personalities who will rave over it and say that you "must" have it are saying that about shadows they already own and have already told you that you "must" have. 

This is seriously getting out of control. 

But, on the positive side of all of this, this palette did not tempt me whatsoever. Not even a tiny bit. As soon as I saw it, I rolled my eyes and watched as so many people talked about how they had to have it even though they already owned all of these colors. 

So, here are the reasons I won't be buying:

There is nothing interesting whatsoever about these colors. 

In addition to several of these being repeat shadows from Too Faced's line, there is nothing interesting or new here. The palette is huge, which is the gimmick Too Faced is playing. We all know by this point that Too Faced is primarily gimmick and packaging, so in lieu of this smelling like a bakery, it's a huge palette. That drives the false sense of value. This is also a marketing ploy for people who have wanted to buy some of their other palettes but never did. Because now they are thinking they can get parts of all of those palettes in this one giant palette, and WOW! What a deal! Nope

These are colors that we have seen so many times over. Let me show you some examples.



Lorac Mega Pro 3:


Photo: Temptalia 

Marc Jacobs Holiday 2016:


Urban Decay Naked 3:


Lorac Pro 3:


Photo: Temptalia

Lorac Unzipped:


Photo: Temptalia

The quality is very likely to be poor

I can't remember the last time Too Faced came out with a palette where everyone was gushing over the formula. I think it might be the original Chocolate Bar. I know a lot of people (myself included) were fans of Chocolate Bon Bons, but I also know that many people thought that was their worst palette. Too Faced has released more palettes than any other brand that I know of in the last two years, and the quality has steadily declined. 

It is so blatantly obvious that Too Faced does not care to come out with a great formula or anything innovative. They care about gimmicks. In my opinion, they put the least effort possible into many of their products because they know they are at a place now that people will buy whatever they put out. Following the harsh reviews of the White Chocolate Chip and Matte Chocolate Chip palettes, the Peanut Butter and Honey palette, and all of their terrible holiday releases, one would think that Too Faced would take a break from pumping out new releases and really evaluate their formula. I haven't liked all of Kat Von D's releases and how her brand hypes her products years in advance, but I respect the fact that when her blushes received awful reviews she pulled the product from shelves. She has not rereleased blushes, but the quality of her holiday palette, Pastel Goth, and Alchemist have all been solid. 

Too Faced, however, doesn't seem to have the same respect for their customers. They keep throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. And I think that is really despicable. 

Here are some swatches of Natural Love:



Photos: A World of Beaty Blog

It looks to me like the above swatches have been swatched heavily and have been built up quite a bit. Other swatches of this palette that I have seen that have looked somewhat promising had a disclaimer that the shadows were swatched over primer (which always makes swatches look better) and were applied wet. These shadows are not promoted as wet shadows, so the fact that the bloggers had to wet the swatches to make them look semi-decent tells me that the quality is similar to the other releases that Too Faced has been coming out with—the formula that people are disappointed with. 

This palette is not a value

If you've seen my weekend posts, you would know that I am going through a singles kick right now. And this is something that I strongly encourage everyone to do. If you have a strong singles collection, or even any singles at all, spend a bit using them. The are the colors that you have picked out yourself for one reason or another. You didn't acquire them because they were a part of a palette that you liked the color scheme of and so you bought it. You went out of your way to select these shadows. And I think what you'll find using them is that it is so much more satisfying using singles than palettes because you love the colors so much more. They are all hand-selected. What I have also found is that my single shadows are way more interesting than most of everything in my palettes. I have specially been using indie shadows from Fyrinnae recently, and I have been utterly blown away by how intricate and gorgeous the shadows are. Looking at those shadows, I just can't fathom getting this huge, uninteresting, uninspired palette. And if you would not buy every single shadow in this palette individually, then this palette isn't really a value. If you went through the palette and honestly asked yourself if you had duplicate shadows already in your collection and then asked yourself if you would go out of your way to purchase all the shadows you don't already have, I think you would find that you would maybe buy a couple of shadows. Maybe. Maybe you would buy none. And if that's the case, why would you want to buy this entire thing?

Giant palettes very rarely get used

This is something that happens every holiday season. Brands come out with their holiday palettes (most of which are huge), people buy them, and then in declutter videos later that year or the next, the big palettes are always the ones to go because people never reach for them. And that is likely to be the case with this as well. It's so big and inconvenient and my guess is that it will likely not get used much after the first month of owning it. 

This is an "of the moment" palette

This is such a big point to consider. This palette was made to be of the moment, not to withstand years of use. Colourpop's entire business model of having cheap eyeshadows with little product (I'm not talking about the pressed shadows) is so that people can buy something that is trendy and not spend a ton of money on it. The products are made to be of the moment and then tossed or moved on from, which is also why they don't have a ton of product. This palette is the same, but is a whopping $59. This palette is just another thing Too Faced wants you to buy until they come out with something else. And at $59, that's insulting. 

Too Faced doesn't care about you, so why give them your money?

This is my final point, but I feel it might be the most important. Too Faced has been churning out subpar products for a very long time at this point, cranking the hype, and hoping that people who shill shit on YouTube will continue carrying them. They created hysteria with their Sweet Peach release intentionally so that people would have fear of missing out and would immediately buy all of their releases in the future—before reviews—so that they won't miss out again. It's gross, and I'm not impressed with it. I have purchased so many things from Too Faced in the past, and all I have left are five depotted shadows from Chocolate Bon Bons. Too Faced has made zero efforts to be innovative or to address their poor quality and instead churn out monthly gimmicks. This tells me that they do not care about their customers, only their customers' money. That's just not a brand that I can support. This palette is ridiculous and a transparent money grab, and I'm not buying into it. I'm not buying into any of Too Faced's bullshit. And they're not getting my money. 

1 comment:

  1. i have too faced's pretty rebel palette and i consider that one to be a good palette after all (i mean, i really like the eyeshadows pigmentation and quality, but i don't love the color scheme). if they just were consistent keeping that same quality, we wouldn't be trashing them right now!

    ReplyDelete