Saturday, April 22, 2017

This Week's Looks: Fyrinnae, Hello Waffle, Shiro Cosmetics, and Notoriously Morbid


My shadow choices this week were interesting. I can't say that there was a reason as to why I made the choices I did, and I can't say I really liked how all of the looks turned out. This was also a hard week for me personally. Things are really picking up at work, and I've been struggling with a health issue. So, maybe that was why I wasn't crazy about my shadow this week. Or, maybe, I used some colors that just aren't really my style. 

Here are five looks I did this week. 

Look 1: Fyrinnae Illusionary 





Illusionary (over Pixie Epoxy) and Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye quad in Plum

Look 2: Notoriously Morbid Visions





Visions (over Pixie Epoxy) and Melt Rust Stack

Look 3: Hello Waffle Mendelssohn 





Mendelssohn (over Pixie Epoxy) and Lime Crime Venus

Look 4: Shiro Cosmetics The Largest Moon of Still Not a Planet





The Largest Moon of Still Not a Planet (over Pixie Epoxy), Coloured Raine Moments, and Viseart Dark Matte

Look 5: Fyrinnae Predjama Castle





Predjama Castle (over Pixie Epoxy) and MAC C'est Chic


Fyrinnae Illusionary 
Status: Favorite 

This shadow is like the cool-toned sister of what might be my favorite Fyrinnae shadow, Serendipity. I absolutely love this shadow. The pictures don't really do this justice (no surprise there, I feel like I say that every week), but this shadow was just so, so pretty. It's purple, pink, taupe, and gray. It's such a unique, complex color while still being entirely wearable. These are the kind of shadows that I think Fyrinnae does best. I paired it with the Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye quad in Plum, which is a quad that I have really loved using. I think the look came out beautifully, and it was one that I really loved wearing. 

Notoriously Morbid Visions
Status: Really enjoy

I wasn't sure I was going to like this shadow when I first saw it because it's an orange with a green shimmer. I felt it had the opportunity to be really pretty and complement my eye color, or it could make me look a bit sickly. Happily, it was the former. I paired it with the Melt Rust Stack, which again, is another complete favorite of mine. Visions is pretty, and it's certainly a shadow that I will keep and enjoy wearing, but I don't think the effect is significantly different from other orange shimmery shadows. I would say this might be in the top two of my favorite orange shadows, but I think if you have something similar, this isn't a shadow you need. 

Hello Waffle Mendelssohn
Status: Keep

This is a shadow that I changed my mind about as I wore it throughout the day. When I first put it on, I was a little disappointed. It was very sheer and required a few layers to build it up to something I was happy with. This was a shadow I was really looking forward to wearing as the swatches on the website are really beautiful. On the whole, I've found that I haven't been as happy with my shadows from Hello Waffle as I have been from other indie brands. The shadows are not bad by any stretch, but they just don't have the same oomph as others. Frankly, this color did not live up to what the swatches looked like on the website. With that said, I do think this is a pretty shadow, and as I caught glimpses of my makeup throughout the day, I enjoyed it. However, I can see this being a shadow that I might declutter later, when I have the opportunity to see how it compares to shadows already in my collection. 

Shiro Cosmetics The Largest Moon of Still Not a Planet
Status: Keep, for now

I don't remember what color I thought this shadow was when I bought it, but it wasn't the color that it is. It reminds me of the blue-brown and green-brown duochromes, like MAC Club, MAC Blue Brown pigment, Make Up Geek Insomnia, and the many other shadows like that. It's not quite as blue/brown as some of those other shadows, but it is in the same ballpark. I paired it with a mauve/brown shadow since I was going to work and needed to make it semi-wearable, but I think it could pair really nicely with colors from Viseart Dark Matte. I enjoyed wearing it, but it wasn't my favorite look I've done. I'd like to wear it again with some other colors, but this might be one that I declutter. 

Fyrinnae Predjama Castle
Status: Decluttered

I hate adding this shadow to my declutter pile, but I really had to be honest with myself in asking how often I would wear it. This shadow is beautiful, but it looks a lot different and darker in the container than it does applied to my eyes. On my eyes, this looked chrome or silver. I thought it was going to be more of a darker taupe than a silver. Even so, I would have kept this shadow if I didn't have a silver/chrome shadow from Natasha Denona, but I certainly don't need two of them. The shadow from Natasha Denona is lighter, but I also think it is more flattering on me. As I saw my makeup throughout the day, I just didn't like the way it looked. And maybe that's because I paired it with gray and black shadows and tried to make a wearable (ha!) smoky eye to wear at work. I have warm olive skin, and while a lot of cool shadows work for me, I haven't found a way to make versions of gray look good. So, while I would absolutely recommend this shadow for people who like silvers, I know that it is just not a shadow that I will reach for, so there's no reason to keep it in my collection.

1 comment:

  1. Your looks are all beautiful and really make your eyes pop, you make me want to try Fyrinnae eyeshadows (I hope they ship internationally), although I don't think they would look as good as in yourself since I have dark brown eyes.

    On another subject, I would love for you to write about Too Faced Clover palette, I just saw it on the most recent antihaul video from Kimberly Clark. I really don't know what the YouTubers are going to say in order to make people believe that they "need" such childish palette, with eighteen "new" eyeshadows that are obviously repeated from previous palettes.

    I'm a big fan of your blog, I read all your posts. Greetings from Mexico.

    Ale

    ReplyDelete