Monday, January 8, 2018

Recent Looks: New Wet N Wild, Urban Decay, Fyrinnae, Kat Von D, Elf, Colourpop, and more

2018 is here, and I'd like to wish everyone a happy New Year. In terms of weather, 2018 is not messing around, at least in New York City. We've had the lowest temperatures I've ever been in, which has made the prospect of leaving the house not very attractive. And then this bomb cyclone moved in, which typically would have given me some snow blues, but it resulted in a snow day. As someone who grew up in the desert, I always dreamed of having a snow day, so those are always a little fun.

Thankfully, despite the one day of snow and the lingering bitter cold, it has been unusually sunny in NYC, which keeps my spirits up.

In terms of recent looks, I received some makeup over the Christmas holiday. I mentioned this in another post, but the item I was most shocked to see was the Kat Von D Metal Matte palette. I've mentioned before how this was my "one that got away" palette, but I was satisfied overall with my decision not to buy it. And then I received it as a gift, and I had to laugh when I opened it. I've used some of this new makeup this week, but I've also used some older favorites.

Here are some recent looks I've done.

Look 1: Wet N Wild Not A Basic Peach



(for shadow number reference)




Lid: 7 
Transition: 1 and 10
Crease: 3 and 4
Outer corner: 9
Brow bone: 2
Lower lash line: 5

Look 2: Wet N Wild Not A Basic Peach





Lid: 5
Transition: 1
Crease: 4
Outer corner: 9
Brow bone: 2
Lower lash line: 7

Look 3: Kat Von D Metal Matte*





Inner and outer lid: Ignite
Center of lid: Twinkle
Transition: Fringe
Crease: Silk
Brow bone: Bone

Look 4: Fyrinnae Illusionary and Elf Mad for Matte Summer Breeze






Lid: Illusionary (over Pixie Epoxy)
Transition: Elf 4
Crease: Elf 6 and 7
Deepen crease: Elf 8
Brow bone: Elf 1

Look 5: Stila Glitter and Glow Smoky Storm and Viseart Neutral Matte





Lid: Stila Smoky Storm
Transition: Viseart light peach
Crease: Viseart darker peach
Outer Corner: Viseart black
Brow bone: Viseart white

Look 6: Wet N Wild Rosé in the Air





Lid: 5
Transition: 4
Crease: 8
Brow bone: 2
Inner corner: 3

Look 7: Duped Modern Renaissance 





Lid: Urban Decay Toasted
Transition: ABH Buon Fresco
Crease: ABH Love Letter
Outer corner: ABH Love Letter
Brow bone: Viseart white
Lower Lash line: ABH Love Letter
Inner Corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl

Look 8: Kat Von D Saint and Sinner*





Lid: Immaculate
Transition: Martyr
Crease: Devil 
Outer corner: Revelation
Brow bone: Amen
Inner corner: Absolution 

Look 9: Duped Modern Renaissance/custom palette





Lid: Lime Crime Shell
Transition: ABH Buon Fresco
Crease: Natasha Denona Nina's Orchid
Crease: ABH Love Letter
Outer corner: ABH Love Letter
Brow bone: Viseart white
Lower lash line: Natasha Denona Nina's Orchid
Inner Corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl

Look 10: Colourpop My Little Pony





Inner half of lid: Firefly
Outer half of lid: Princess Sparkle
Transition: Flutterbye
Crease: Twilight
Brow bone: Butterscotch
Inner corner: Snuzzle
Lower lash line: Firefly and Princess Sparkle

Looks 1 and 2: Wet N Wild Not A Basic Peach 

In my last weekly looks post, I mentioned that I had purchased two of the new Wet N Wild palettes, Rosé in the Air, which is supposed to be a Modern Renaissance dupe, and Not A Basic Peach, which I imagine was inspired by Too Faced Sweet Peach and other peach-themed palettes. I like Not A Basic Peach so much more than Rosé in the Air. The shadows required a bit of building, but the overall payoff was very impressive to me. The shimmer shadows aren't as striking as some more expensive brands, which is a bit of a letdown for me, but they are not bad by any means. The mattes seem to be hits and slight misses. Some of the mattes are really rich, but other barely show up on me. Regardless of the price, I would still recommend Not A Basic Peach, and I don't see myself decluttering it any time soon.

Look 3: Kat Von D Metal Matte
*This palette was given to me as a gift

As I've mentioned, this palette was a very unexpected gift that I received for Christmas, and for my first look, I wanted to use some of the more unique shades in it. I couldn't decide if I wanted a mint or lilac shimmer on the lid, so I chose to use both. The result was... subtle. The mattes worked great and the shimmers were also pretty, but the colors I chose were so light and pastel that it was difficult to tell the difference between them on the lid. I'm certainly looking forward to using this palette more, but my impression after one use (which is not much, so definitely take this with a grain of salt), is that if you were also lamenting this as a palette that got away, I don't think you're really missing out on too much. It's a beautiful palette, but there's not too much in it that I don't already own.

Look 4: Fyrinnae Illusionary and Elf Mad for Matte Summer Breeze

I received two Elf palettes for Christmas, which included Summer Breeze. Before this, I had never owned any makeup products from Elf. I've owned the lip scrub and a few brushes, but I hadn't tried any makeup until recently. To be honest, my expectations with this palette were pretty low. Sure, it has a gorgeous color scheme, but I just really didn't think it would hold up to other shadows in my collection. And I'm happy to report that I was wrong. This palette is really good, and it certainly impressed me. I paired it with one of my favorite Fyrinnae shadows, and I think the overall look is really pretty.

Look 5: Stila Glitter and Glow Smoky Storm and Viseart Neutral Matte

If it's not obvious, this was my New Year's Eve makeup. I received a ton of compliments on my eyes that night, and people commented on how striking the glitter was. I've written about the Glitter and Glow products a few times now, and we all know that I like the Viseart Neutral Matte shadows. As always when using a Glitter and Glow, the look was so much prettier in person than in a photograph, and it was something I really enjoyed.

Look 6: Wet N Wild Rosé in the Air
Look 7: Duped Modern Renaissance 

I don't know if it was obvious, but I attempted a bit of an experiment this week. I've written several times at this point that I did not like ABH Modern Renaissance and that I thought it would be a simple palette to recreate in one's own collection, with the exception of the berry shades. I wanted to see how similar of a look I could create with Rosé in the Air as with a pseudo Modern Renaissance.

Again, I have to say that I didn't really like Rosé in the Air all that much. I used the shade that is most similar to Antique Bronze from Modern Renaissance, which was the shade that specifically made me decide to return Modern Renaissance. I really, really hated that shade, and so I was not surprised to find that I didn't like it in Rosé in the Air either. This look required quite a bit of building, and in the end, I didn't think it had a ton of great payoff.

The next dayI tried to recreate that look with a duped Modern Renaissance. And what's interesting about this duped palette is that I have two shades that are actually in Modern Renaissance—Buon Fresco and Love Letter.

In case you're wondering, the dupe for Modern Renaissance is the first two rows of this palette:


Obviously it's not an exact dupe (hello, gorgeous orchid), and while I own a satisfactory dupe of every shade in that palette, this is roughly what my ideal version of it looks like (I've since rearranged it a bit). 

As I mentioned, I don't like Antique Bronze, but a shadow in my collection that I do love and that is similar enough in color is Urban Decay Toasted. I then used the two shadows that are actually in Modern Renaissance, and I was happy with the recreated look. I suppose you can judge for yourself if you think the looks are similar and how close of a dupe Rosé in the Air might be for Modern Renaissance: 


Rosé in the Air


Urban Decay Toasted, ABH Buon Fresco, and ABH Love Letter


As I've said, I don't like Rosé in the Air much, but mainly because the shimmers don't pack much of a punch. With that said, Rosé in the Air is not bad. I imagine that this will be something that I declutter from my collection soon, because I already own all of the shades. 

Look 8: Kat Von D Saint and Sinner
*This palette was given to me as a gift

I've got to say, the more I use this palette, the more I really like it. It certainly is unique, and it's one that has really pushed my creativity. Ironically, this look is one of the least creative ones I've done with the palette, but it was also one of my favorites of the week. I really love the look of a deep olive paired with orange, and I thought the look was neutral while also being a little smoky. I've talked about this palette quite a bit at this point, and I'm happy it was gifted to me. 

Look 9: Duped Modern Renaissance/custom palette

I'll make a larger post on this later, but with this palette, in addition to duping shades in Modern Renaissance, I also expanded upon the shade range to include more shimmers, which is something I always felt was lacking in Modern Renaissance. This was my other favorite look of the week, which isn't surprising considering I love these pink sunset looks. One thing to note is that I reversed my typical crease and outer corner colors with this look. Typically, I put the red color in the crease and the purple on the outer corner, but with this look, I put the purple in the crease and red in the outer corner. I really loved the end result! 

Look 10: Colourpop My Little Pony

I'm still undecided on this look and on the Colourpop My Little Pony palette on the whole. I do like this frosty green look, but it came across as a little too frosty/silvery on me. With this palette, I've largely found that the colors in the pan don't actually look that way when applied to the lid, which is pretty disappointing. I definitely thought the greens would be more distinctly green, but then I've also found that the mauve/burgundy shades come off as hot pink instead of mauve/burgundy. The pigmentation is great, as is the blendability, but the differences in color make this palette a little challenging and disappointing to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment