Sunday, January 28, 2018

Weekend Looks: Stila, Urban Decay, Morphe, and more

In response to the cool-toned looks I did earlier this week, I started off the weekend wanting to do a non-traditional (for me) warm-toned look. But after one day of that, I was back to the cool tones. I don't think I'm necessarily a cool tones convert (after all, I do have a warm olive undertone), but I do think it's a really refreshing departure from the kind of looks I've been doing for many months and years.

I'm curious to know how other people do their makeup. Do you repeat looks often? Do you have a set number of looks and rotate through them? Or do you get bored easily (like me) and try to come up with new looks all the time?

Here are the looks I did this weekend.

Look 1: Morphe x Jaclyn Hill





Lid: Creamscicle
Crease: Pukey
Inner corner: Beam
Brow bone: Wet N Wild Brûlée
Lower lash line: Creamscicle

Look 2: Stila Shimmer and Glow in Kitten and Cool Tones






Lid: Stila Shimmer and Glow in Kitten
Transition: Viseart cool brown and Coloured Raine Moments
Crease: Urban Decay Boom and Untitled
Inner corner: Kat Von D Saphyre
Brow bone: Wet N Wild Brûlée
Lower lash line: Urban Decay Untitled


Look 1: Morphe x Jaclyn Hill

(This palette was given to me as a gift.)

We all know I love a good mustard brown, but recently, I've been thinking how much I want a pure mustard. I saw that Urban Decay released one in a recent collaboration (that I personally don't want to purchase), and I genuinely didn't think I had one in my collection. However, when I was looking for Blue Honey dupes in my collection, I realized that I sort of had this mustard shade already in the Morphe x Jaclyn Hill palette. It's not quite as yellow as I would like (it leans more orange), but it was close enough for me to try out this kind of look and see how I like it. And I feel kind of mixed on it. On the one hand, I really liked how it looked up close and how it looks in photos, but in person from a slight distance, it almost looked like I wasn't wearing any eyeshadow at all. And I don't know if that is because I'm so used to dramatic eye looks or because the shade is somewhat close to my skin tone. But it blended in a little too much for me. Similarly, while I liked the look enough to want to wear it again, I would want to invest in a higher quality eyeshadow. In terms of this palette, while I am grateful that someone thought enough of me to gift it to me, and while I also feel that this palette is of higher quality than other Morphe palettes that I have tried, I don't find the quality to be up to far with other similarly priced palettes. I'll certainly keep this palette and continue using it as I don't dislike it, but I don't think it's as fantastic as other influencers claim. 

Look 2: Stila Shimmer and Glow in Kitten and Cool Tones

So, this was my return to cool tones. And I have to say, I really, really love it. I wasn't entirely sure how this was going to turn out, but I just felt this intense craving for more blue. This was the first time (I think?) that I ever applied blue shadows in the crease with a neutral shade on the lid. I could be wrong about that, but I can't think of another time I did that. And man, do I love how this look turned out. It reminds me a bit of a mod look from the 60s (in person, not in photographs), and I couldn't be happier with it. I've written about the Stila Shimmer and Glow in Kitten before, and I still love it just as much. Since it can lean cool or warm depending on the complementary shadows, I think it pairs just so beautifully with these blue shadows. After the week I've had using and loving cool tones, I feel like I have to ask: Why have warm tones been on trend for this long? I don't even have a cool-toned complexion, and I still think these colors are fantastic. I'm hoping we see a shift soon. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the green shade in the second look. It brings out your eye color.

    Could you tell me if there's an easy way to depot these shadows, like out of the thicker cardboard palettes? I used to do this but it took forever and so many shadows got dinged up in the process (or outright destroyed!). MAC singles were fairly easy, but not the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself wanting to reach for cool toned lately as well. I’m not sure if it’s because the market is so saturated with warm tones and that’s all I see anymore.

    ReplyDelete