Saturday, May 6, 2017

This Week's Looks: Urban Decay, Inglot, Fyrinnae, and Milani


I really appreciate all of the supportive comments on my last post about the health issues I've been dealing with. There is no makeup product that has come out or been teased recently that I am remotely interested in buying, so if there are specific products you would like me to write an anti-haul post about, I encourage you to comment and let me know what they are. That way, when I am able to write more posts, I know they will be about things people want to read. 

This was an interesting week for me as my makeup was noticed a lot and I received an abnormally high amount of comments, all at work. None of the comments were necessarily bad, but I personally feel uncomfortable when people comment on the existence of my makeup. I'm okay when people tell me that I look nice that day, or even when close friends of mine tell me my makeup looks nice (because they know I love makeup and it's a big hobby of mine). But when my colleagues acknowledge that I'm wearing makeup, it makes me feel a little uncomfortable, and I don't know why. 

One comment was asking if I was wearing a specific MAC shadow (I was not), and this led to a really fun conversation with another hidden makeup enthusiast in my office. She doesn't wear much makeup to work, but I got the impression she leads a double life and wears a ton of it in her personal life. And I wish I could see what she wears!

Another day I wore a striking eyeshadow, and one woman commented that she really loved the color. She then said that she notices my makeup all the time and really loves it, but that it makes her lament that she does not know how to put on makeup herself and she therefore doesn't try. I was about to respond with something encouraging, but I was interrupted by a slightly older woman in the office who is quite abrasive. About my makeup, she said, "It's a little clubby, but it adds some flair to the office."

Again, it wasn't a direct insult, but it was certainly not a compliment to be told I came to work looking like I was ready to go to a club. And I have to say that those kind of experiences make me less inclined to wear what I want to work. I feel like in order to not be noticed and have to deal with comments, I should be like my colleague who leads a double makeup life. 

Here are the looks I did this week. 

Look 1: Urban Decay Toasted





Toasted on the lid and Viseart Neutral Matte blended into the crease. 

Look 2: Urban Decay Sideline





Sideline on the lid and Bobbi Brown Camel blended into the crease. 

Look 3: Fyrinnae Luxury





Luxury (over Pixie Epoxy) on the lid and Melt Rust Stack blended into the crease. 

Look 4: Inglot





8 on the lid, 3 blended into the crease, and 11 padded onto the outer corner. 

Look 5: (Altered) Milani Earthy Elements 





4 on the lid, 2 and 3 blended into the crease, 5 padded onto the outer corner, and 1 on the brow bone. 


Urban Decay Toasted
Status: Favorite 

This is a semi-recent addition to my collection. I purchased it several months ago, but haven't had the opportunity to wear it because I was trying to get through my palettes and then I started indie month. I've mentioned before that there were three shadows that made me keep the Naked palette for as long as I did, and they were Half Baked, Smog, and Toasted. I bought Urban Decay Chase, which is a perfect combination of Half Baked and Smog, so I decluttered the Naked palette. And ever since then (which has been years), I have really missed Toasted. I figured it was such a simple, plain shadow that I likely had something similar in my collection, but I finally missed it enough that I decided to buy it. And, man, do I love this shadow. I think the single is even better than the one in the Naked palette because I've long believed that the formula in UD palettes is slightly lower than their singles. I love this shadow, and even though my look was very simple, all day I thought it was so pretty. I am very happy to have it in my collection again. 

Urban Decay Sideline
Status: Love

So, this was the first shadow that I received a comment on. It is a duochrome, and it shifts between gold and green, but I think (well, thought) it was neutral enough. As with most duochromes, it is better and prettier in person than on camera, and I thought the look was really pretty, especially paired with Bobbi Brown Camel. I feel I might have some indie shadows that are similar to this, but the indie shadows are much more intense in their shifting. This shadow is more subtle, which I really loved about it. 

Fyrinnae Luxury
Status: Love, but decluttered

If you couldn't guess, this is the shadow that was called out as being "clubby." You know, the woman who said that to me is not my favorite person in the office. She is abrasive and entitled and feels like everyone should hear her opinion. Most of the people in my office are not like that, so it doesn't surprise me that she was the one to say something to me. But, I don't have a very thick skin for people in my real life making comments on my appearance. I am very senior in my office and I am also one of the youngest people there, and I am absolutely treated differently because of my age. For the first month or so working at my job, I didn't wear makeup I wanted to wear because I wanted people to take me seriously. And I think it's pretty gross that a makeup look like this one, which is really just a shiny (gorgeous) gold on the lid, made someone feel the need to strip me a bit of my authority. I am very good at my job, I take my job seriously, and I am very professional. And I didn't appreciate that this woman took my eyeshadow as an opportunity to kick me down a peg. 

It was a crappy experience, but that is not why I am decluttering this eyeshadow. I think this shadow is stunning and I completely recommend it to anyone who is looking into Fyrinnae shadows. I am decluttering it because it is a duplicate of Coloured Raine Super Star.


Fyrinnae Luxury


Coloured Raine Super Star

And while I think these colors are completely gorgeous, I just don't need two of them. And I am choosing to keep the Coloured Raine shadow because it is pressed and doesn't require Pixie Epoxy under it.

Inglot platte
Status: Favorite

I have an entire one week, one palette post about most of the shadows in this palette (I had a 10-pan palette instead of a 15-pan palette), and it was one of my favorite palettes in my collection. I didn't want to stop using it and actually prolonged the week so that I could get more use out of it. And it is still one of my favorite palettes and I always enjoy using it. I think I was drawn to a more subtle color on my lid because of the previous day, but I like that I still made it very "me" and didn't stick with a "safe" neutral look.

(Altered) Milani Earthy Elements 
Status: Favorite

This is without doubt one of my favorite discoveries in makeup ever. And I know that is super dramatic, but I just can't get over how much I love this palette. I have owned three of these palettes from Milani, and I have to say that not all are created equal. This is the only one that I kept, and even then, I completely altered it to be the perfect palette for me. This is what this palette originally looked like:


And this is mine now:


As you can see, I removed the first shade which was just a sparkly nothing shade and replaced it with the matte cream shade from the Milani Plum palette (that I did not like at all except for this shadow). I then replaced the number 5 shadow, which was a white gold glitter bomb, with the matte brown from the Milani Bare Necessities palette (that was fine but nothing special). I wasn't able to replace the pans themselves, so I crushed up the shadows from Earthy Elements and threw them away and then crushed up the shadows from the other palettes and repressed them into the pans of this palette. 

And I get that it is slightly unfair for me to completely rave about a palette that I had to work for and that no one can buy. But I love this palette for the four shadows that I didn't touch. And I would have been happy to use this palette in conjunction with other shadows in my collection, but now I don't have to. I honestly don't know what it is about this palette, but I just love it so much. I love how my eyeshadow comes out each time and I always want to wear it. Considering that it is around $10 from the drugstore, I think this (altered version) is the perfect warm neutral palette. 

1 comment:

  1. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about your makeup (easier said then done, I know). Certain people will always have something to say, no matter what you do, especially if they feel threatened by you.

    I love your eye looks and they've inspired me more than once! :)

    ReplyDelete