Monday, February 13, 2017

Weekend Looks: Coloured Raine and Stila Glitter and Glow



For week two of weekend looks, I wanted to use two "single" shadows that I haven't been able to use much. As I mentioned in last week's post, weekend looks are the two looks a week where I get to do whatever I want and go crazy with color. And potentially the two looks I did will seem tame to a lot of people. But to me, they were over the top and gorgeous and I loved every second of them. 

Look 1:


From left: Colourpop Stay Golden and Coloured Raine Short Cake




Coloured Raine Short Cake on the lid, Colourpop Stay Golden blended into the crease, Makeup Geek Bitten lightly padded onto the outer corner, and Make Up For Ever Pearl on the inner corner. Coloured Raine Short Cake on the lower lash line. 

Look 2:





Stila Giltter and Glow Rose Gold Retro on the lid, Kat Von D Ludwin blended into the crease, Kat Von D Laetus on the brow bone, and Make Up For Ever Pearl on the inner corner. Kat Von D Solus on the lower lash line. 

Man, I loved these looks. Coloured Raine officially makes some of my favorite shimmer shadows. I will say that on me, Coloured Raine shadows apply best with a synthetic brush like the MAC 242. I typically use my MAC 239 brush to pack color all over the lid, but the 242 works much better with Coloured Raine shadows. 

Short Cake especially is one of my favorite shadows. It's like an amped up version of some other favorites of mine, like Makeup Geek Mai Tai or Cosmopolitan or Colourpop Come and Get It. Blended with the Colourpop shadow (which I love), I thought the look was stunning. 

The Stila Glitter and Glow liquid eyeshadow seriously deserves its own post. I can't remember the last time I was this shocked and delighted by a makeup product. This is a newer product to my collection, and this was the first time I had used it on my eyes. I swatched it on the back of my hand in store and was so mesmerized that I decided to buy it. I have to say I was really nervous it was going to be one of those products that looks incredible in store lighting or looks great on the back of your hand and then sheers out to nothing on the eye. But man, I was impressed. This was the most metallic and sparkly thing I have ever had on my eyes. The pictures don't really do it justice, though you can see quite a bit of the sparkle and shine. 

The only negative was that after a few hours of wear, glitter particle started raining down my face. Under normal circumstances, that is an absolute deal breaker for me, but I didn't really mind with this product. And I think that's because the look felt very special to me. Like a New Year's Eve or Christmas look or something to wear when you go out with your girlfriends. And in those cases, I'm totally okay having glitter on my face. When the glitter started transferring onto other people around me, that was when I knew it was time to wash it off. And using my typical makeup removing method (micellar water), the product came right off and didn't leave behind any glitter whatsoever.  

I do wish that my job would allow me to play with color and finishes a bit more, even like the looks above that are still pretty tame/neutral in the grand scheme of things. But, I do feel like I've achieved a small victory at work. Since I've been working there, two women in the office have recently started wearing makeup! For the first month and a half, I was the only women who wore anything more than light eyeliner or mascara, and now the women have branched into orange-red and metallic lipsticks! Maybe I'll get to wear a super metallic coral or liquid glitter eyeshadow soon after all. Until then, the weekends are my play time. 

1 comment: