Sunday, February 26, 2017

This Week's Looks: Kat Von D, Bare Minerals, Viseart, Too Faced

The looks I did this week were made up of a mishmash of items. I'd like to say there was a rhyme or reason behind anything I used, but I basically just used whatever I felt like using. For the most part, the commonality was that these were shadows that I had not used in a while.

Here are four looks I did last week.

Look 1: Kat Von D Thunderstruck





Thunderstruck on the lid and Inglot shadows blended into the crease. 

Look 2: Viseart Boheme Dream





5 on the lid, Physician's Formula Classic Nudes quad blended into the crease, and 9 padded onto the outer corner. 

Look 3: Bare Minerals Skinny Dip and Velvet Pecan


(Left: Velvet Pecan, Right: Skinny Dip)




Skinny Dip on the lid and Velvet Pecan blended into the crease.

Look 4: Too Faced Cafe au Lait and Almond Truffle


(Top left: Cafe au Lait, Bottom right: Almond Truffle)




Cafe au Lait on the lid and Almond Truffle blended into the crease.

Kat Von D Thunderstruck
Status: Keep, really enjoy 

Kat Von D Thunderstruck is a really fun eyeshadow. The reason I first bought it, interestingly enough, was because I was trying duplicate Too Faced Satin Sheets. I've written a couple of times of my love for Satin Sheets, and when I first swatched Thunderstruck, I thought it was going to be a dead ringer for Satin Sheets. It's not. But it's in a related family and is still really pretty. 

I swatched three shades on my hand, two of which I used this week, to show the true color. Because these shades are all kind of duochrome, the color gets completely washed out when I take the pictures of my eye. The swatches below are much more accurate in terms of color. 


From left: Kat Von D Thunderstruck, Too Faced Satin Sheets, and Bare Minerals Skinny Dip

Thunderstruck and Satin Sheets are both "white gold," in my opinion, but Satin Sheets is a little more yellow than white. I like the way Satin Sheets looks all over the lid better than Thunderstruck, but I still really enjoy Thunderstruck. I think it gives my eyes a nice fresh, glowy look. Thunderstruck is also lovely as a face highlight. 

Viseart Boheme Dream
Status: Favorite

I really enjoy this palette. I could easily write a blog post about why people don't need to buy it, but I did, and I enjoy it. I think there are absolutely substitute palettes out there, and I think the repetition of the pink, blue, and green shades can be a little overkill, especially in a palette that is so expensive. But, since I have it in my collection and I enjoy it, I use it. Interestingly, I had never actually used the "neutral" side of the palette before, and I really loved it. Viseart shadows glide on like a dream, but the color that I used certainly was nothing revolutionary. 

Bare Minerals Skinny Dip
Status: Keep and enjoy

Bare Minerals Velvet Pecan
Status: Favorite 

I really love Skinny Dip on me, and I especially love it paired with Velvet Pecan. The pictures of my eye don't do Skinny Dip any justice. The flash completely washed it out, but the above swatch is a pretty accurate depiction of it. If the light isn't hitting it, it looks invisible, but when the light does hit it, it is a beautiful iridescent pink shade. 

Velvet Pecan is one of my favorite shadows of all time. I wasn't a huge fan of it being a loose shadow, but I am not as hung up on that detail anymore. This is the perfect crease shade for my skin tone, and I love it. The only issue is that I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere. I bought it and Skinny Dip at a Bare Minerals outlet store in California over the summer, and I haven't seen them offered anywhere else since. 

Too Faced Cafe au Lait
Status: Keep and enjoy

Too Faced Almond Truffle
Status: Favorite

I wrote a post earlier in the week about depotting Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bons. I realized that while the entire palette was usable and could create pretty looks, I only really loved five shadows. And I bought the entire thing for those five shadows while telling myself that the rest were completely suitable. But I wasn't really wanting to reach for Chocolate Bon Bons after I used it in one week, one palette, and that was because the palette on the whole didn't excite me. It was just those five shadows. And since depotting those shadows, I was really aching to use to them again. The look I did with Cafe au Lait and Almond Truffle was one of my favorite looks from that palette and one of my favorite looks last week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment