Friday, November 11, 2016

What I'm Not Buying: Too Faced White Chocolate Chip Palette


All the way back in April (APRIL!) Too Faced teased that they had a "Chocolate Chip" palette in the works. And seven months later, two Chocolate Chip palettes are slated to be released on Black Friday. 

And I won't be buying. 

I would just like to reiterate the point that Too Faced teased this item seven months ago. And they teased it with the above image. And I can't stress enough how annoying and unhelpful it is to tease an item just with its packaging. But to tease it that far in advance is going out of their way to be frustrating. 

There will be two Chocolate Chip palettes. The White Chocolate Chip will be exclusive to Sephora, and the Dark Chocolate Chip will be exclusive to Too Faced's website. That also is incredibly frustrating, but let's move on. 

Here are the two palettes:


But this post is just about the White Chocolate Chip. I'll discuss the Dark Chocolate Chip in a different post. 

So, White Chocolate Chip:


I don't really understand the concept of the Chocolate Chip palettes other than to be a gimmick off of their most popular product. The Dark Chocolate Chip is all matte, but the White Chocolate Chip has a mix of finishes. They don't seem to be condensed versions of the Chocolate Bar palettes and they also don't seem to be companion palettes since there are shades that are repeated in (or look similar to) the Chocolate Bar. 

I would like to explain a bit further why I am irritated that Too Faced teased this seven months ago and why I think it's manipulative to tease with dumb pictures that mean nothing, like pictures of the packaging. See, seven months ago, I saw that top picture of the Chocolate Chip packaging. And I got so excited. And I imagined this gorgeous palette inspired by a chocolate chip cookie. And I knew, of course, that I was going to buy it because it was so small and would be perfectly curated. Of course

But then it didn't come out. And didn't come out. And didn't come out. And thankfully, my entire mindset toward makeup and shopping has changed. And now that the real images of this product have finally been released, I laugh at how wrong that version of myself was seven months ago. Of course this is not a unique product. Of course this looks like a super generic palette. Hell, it looks nearly exact to an existing Too Faced palette!

It looks very similar to the Too Faced Boudoir Eyes palette:


Now, it's important to note that the lighting quality of the image released of the Chocolate Chip palettes is bad. Too Faced does this pretty frequently with they release "unofficial" images of their products. The lighting really skews the color, and it's difficult to know how close or not it is to the actual colors in the palettes. However, I think the lighting is good enough to make out the basic color scheme. Sure, the nuances may be different in better lighting, but I think the general color will be the same. 

The color scheme of this palette is nothing new or exciting. Like in the Boudoir Eyes palette, it has a matte cream/white color, rose golds, taupes, a matte gray, and a matte black infused with glitter for whatever reason. I've previously owned this palette and decluttered it from my collection because it leaned way too cool-toned for me and I didn't think it had the best quality. 

The White Chocolate Chip palette looks like any other rose gold palette that has been released.

It looks like the Lorac Unzipped:


The Naked 3:


And the Urban Decay x Gwen Stefani: 



Interestingly, I have owned every single palette that reminds me of the White Chocolate Chip palette. And I have either returned, decluttered, or sold all of them. I guess it takes me purchasing four palettes before I learn to not buy the fifth. And for the record, I love rose gold eyeshadow. But I have plenty in my MAC/Makeup Geek/Morphe custom palette and my Viseart palettes. And I typically don't like the accompanying shades in a palette that has one or more rose gold shadows. 

I have made several posts about Too Faced recently because they have been coming out with a staggering number of new releases. Of the ones that have been released so far, none have received stellar reviews. Chocolate Bar palettes are typically the best reviewed palettes from Too Faced's range, but I can't help to think that is based more on hype, first impressions, and certain colors than the entire palette as a whole. 

I have not tried a single Too Faced palette where I liked every shade and thought they all performed well. The closest I have come are the Peanut Butter and Jelly and Chocolate Bon Bons palettes. Based on looking at the picture of the White Chocolate Chip palette, I suspect the matte gray and matte glitter black won't perform too well. 

Overall, I don't need this palette in my collection. If it performs well, I can see this potentially being a great palette for a beginner or someone without an entire collection of eyeshadows. I still don't think the color selection is quite cohesive on the whole as it seems the majority of colors look really similar with a few random cool-toned shades thrown in, but I can see how some people would like it. I, however, don't need this palette. There is nothing in here that I've haven't seen (or bought) many times over. I have no interest in it, and I won't be buying. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember the teaser pictures of the outer packaging in April. So many people commented saying 'I'm definitely buying this, I don't care what's inside'. So crazy! That's exactly what Too Faced's marketing has become and I find it so exploitative.

    ReplyDelete