Tuesday, November 22, 2016

One Week, One Palette: Juvia's Place Masquerade


For the seventh week of my one week, one palette project, I decided to go with the newest and most colorful palette in my collection: Juvia's Place Masquerade. 

As I mentioned in last week's post, the palette I was using became a little too dark and depressing for me as the days progressed, so I knew for the next week I wanted to try something fun and colorful. I should mention that before I started this one week, one palette project, I never wore color. Ever. But when I started challenging myself to use every color in these palettes, I was forced to try color. And I was shocked to find that I loved it! 

Since starting this project, the palette I've most enjoyed using is the Juvia's Place Nubian 2 palette. After using that palette and having so much fun with it, the Juvia's Place Masquerade palette started creeping into my thoughts. I would have never considered this palette even a few months ago, but I just loved the Nubian 2 so much and wanted to play more with color. When I saw that Juvia's Place created a mini version of the Masquerade, I jumped all over it. 



I used every shadow in this palette, but in order to do that, using this palette went significantly beyond one week. As I mentioned on my Instagram, I was traveling last week and put the blog on a temporary hiatus until I returned. However, I continued using this palette while I was away.

As for additional shadows I bought in, I used Inglot 351 matte (matte cream) on my brow bone each day. I also used some shadows from the Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye palette on a couple of days, and used Make Up For Ever Pearl on the inner conner most days.

Below are 10(!) looks I did last week:

Look 1:



Makeda on the lid, Bori blended into the crease, Zobo blended to deepen the crease, and MUFE Pearl on the inner corner.

Look 2:



I followed this tutorial from KathleenLights.

Zola on the lid, Burkina and Zobo blended into the crease, Mali padded on top of Zola on the center of the lid, and Giza on the inner corner. Burkina, Zola, and Chi on the lower lash line. 

Look 3:



Chi on the lid, Ada blended into the crease, Zobo blended to deepen the crease, and MUFE Pearl on the inner corner. 

Look 4:



Dalia on the lid, Cairo blended into the crease, Zulu and Ada blended to deepen the crease, and MUFE Pearl on the inner corner.

Look 5:



Mali on the inner and outer lid, Giza on the center of the lid; Fulani, Ada, and Burkina blended into the crease; Zobo blended to deepen the crease; and MUFE Pearl on the inner corner. 

Look 6:



Casablanca on the lid, Zulu and Burkina blended into the crease, Zulu blended to deepen the crease, and MUFE Pearl on the inner corner.

Look 7:



Dahia on the lid, Kat Von D Ludwin blended into the cease, Kat Von D Succubus blended to deepen the outer corner, and Giza on the inner corner. 

Look 8:



Calabar on the lid, Zobo blended into the crease, and MUFE Pearl on the inner corner. 

Look 9:



Cairo on the lid, Casablanca padded over Cairo, Kat Von D Ludwin and Succubus blended into the crease, and MUFE Pearl on the inner corner. 

Look 10:



Bori on the lid, Cairo blended into the crease, Zobo blended to deepen the crease, and MUFE Pearl on the inner corner. 

I really, really enjoyed using this palette all week for the colors, finishes, creativity, and the color combinations. However, I was slightly disappointed with the performance of the shadows. I tried these shadows with three different eye primers—Milani eye primer, MAC Paint Pot in Painterly, and Urban Decay Primer Potion in Anti-Aging—and by about the six-hour mark, they creased every time. Shadows don't typically ever crease on me with a primer, so this was highly unusual. 

I hadn't before used the Urban Decay Anti-Aging primer, and I was really disappointed with it, so I will be retuning it in exchange for my favorite primer, the NARS Smudge-Proof Eyeshadow Base. Typically when wearing the NARS primer, a shadow will last all day for me, even into the next morning on the rare occasion that I fall asleep before having a chance to take off my makeup. When I get the NARS primer, I will test the Masquerade shadows again to see if that will work better. (It should be noted that I used the Nubian 2 shadows exclusively with the NARS primer before I finished the tube.) It's also worth acknowledging that while I didn't use my favorite primer, the Masquerade shadows still creased with the MAC Paint Pot and Milani eye primer, and I don't typically have issues with either of those primers. 

As far as colors are concerned, I pretty much loved everything about this palette. The only days I felt slightly less jazzed about my eyeshadow were the days that I did a completely neutral look. And that's so funny because originally when I looked at this palette (before I loved color), I thought it wouldn't be a good purchase for me because I would only get use out of the neutral shades. The neutral shadows were pretty, and there was nothing wrong with them, I just didn't have nearly as much fun using them as I did the more colorful shadows. 

My favorite looks of the week were looks 3 and 4, but I also really loved looks 1 and 2. Zobo was my favorite shadow from the palette as I felt it really paired nicely with most of the shadows. It is a matte dark pink/berry, and I didn't have any other similar colors in my collection. I also loved Dalia and Chi and thought they made exceptionally beautiful lid shades. 

The matte brown shades toward the bottom of the palette felt a little interchangeable to me. Burkina and Ada were my favorites, but there was not a huge difference between those and Zulu and Fulani. Calabar was the only shadow that slightly disappointed me, and it was because I was expecting a richer cranberry color instead of a brighter pink, which is how it looked on the eyes. 

I opted for the Masquerade Mini because I am not a fan of eyeshadows (especially palettes) that have a ton of product. In my entire collection, I have hit pan on one eyeshadow, which is Make Up For Ever Pearl. Even then, it will take me probably an entire year of daily use to use up the smaller pan that was downsized from the typical pan size. The pans in my Nubian 2 palette are huge and overwhelming, so I really appreciated Juvia's Place making a smaller version of the Masquerade palette. I've read some complains about the size of these pans, and I honestly don't understand them. These shadows are the same circumference as MAC, Makeup Geek, or Morphe shadows. It is not as though they are dime-sized or smaller. The Mini is a much more manageable palette size, in my opinion, especially for colorful shadows. 

Had these shadows not creased so terribly on me, this palette really would have been a home-run for me. But I was always so disappointed to see my shadows creased so badly by the evening when shadows typically last on me until I decide to take them off. Once I have my NARS primer back, I will see how these perform and make a decision from there. I am hopeful they will perform like any other shadow since that primer is so good, but if they don't—if they still crease—this palette may be a pass for me. And I hate saying that because I loved using this all week. But if I don't feel I can make it even six hours without the shadows looking terrible on my lid, then it really isn't worth it for me. 

But I will say that using this palette all week was so much fun, and I have had zero desire to buy anything new. That's the thing about using palettes consistently and using every single color. It forces you to look at your palettes a little differently, and when you see all the possibilities you have in just one palette, it makes the desire to buy something new go away. The Sephora VIB sale went on while I was using this palette, and I bought a brush to apply highlighter. That was it. And I've watched so many haul videos and have seen people bring in so much stuff, and I don't feel like I missed out at all. I have had so much fun playing with my palettes, and this week was the perfect example of that. There were so many more color combinations that I wanted to try with this palette, but I felt ten days of looks was probably enough and that I should move on to the next palette. But the Masquerade palette reminded me every day why it's so much fun to play with makeup and why it's so important to love and use your makeup rather than just buy and collect whatever is hot at the moment. 

6 comments:

  1. I feel very accomplished, I've bought nothing from sephora or ulta during the recent sale. I don't really need anything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should feel accomplished! Resisting sales when you know there is nothing you need is really great. Congrats!

      Delete
  2. Looks 3, 4, and 5 are amazing! Shame on the staying power, I hope it improves with the different primer. Missed you while you were gone! You've become a daily check-in for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really missed the blog while I was away, but I just didn't have time with everything else I had going on. I was so excited to come back today and don't plan on taking another break any time soon, even through the holidays. Thanks so much for reading! It honestly means so much to me.

      And yes, it really was a shame about the staying power. I purchased the NARS primer again today, so I should have an update soon!

      Delete
  3. Love your review. I too have problems with these shadows creasing and fading. I've tried 3 primers and no dice. I was curious how your experiment with the NARS primer went with these shades

    ReplyDelete