Wednesday, June 22, 2016

What I'm Not Buying: Tarte x Grav3yardgirl Swamp Queen Palette




Tarte and YouTube personality Grav3yardgirl collaborated to make the Swamp Queen palette. I don't personally watch Grav3yardgirl's channel, so I don't know much about her or the significance of the shade names or palette aesthetics, but I will say that contrary to many other collaborations, it looks like Bunny put a ton of thought into this palette.

The palette looks kinda perfect to me. So perfect, in fact, that I already have all of the shades in it.

I really love the packaging and read that the antique look was inspired by Bunny's love for antique items and going to Uncommon Objects in Austin. I used to live in Austin, so this is a really lovely touch to me. Even without that personal connection, I find it to be a very unique look and I think it's interesting.



I don't have a single face palette in my collection. They're not for me. I also don't have any eyeshadow palettes that have face products included. It has never been an aesthetic that I've enjoyed or something that I felt I needed. So, immediately upon seeing this palette, I felt it could be an easy pass.

But then I started looking at the eyeshadows. And they are really all my favorite kind of shades. A gold, burnt orange, taupe purple--I love them. I also really liked the color of the bronzer, but I would use it as an eyeshadow instead. All things considered, I really wanted to purchase this palette, but in the end, I'm not going to.

I saw and read several reviews that talked about the glitter fallout in some of the shades, specifically the highlight shade (gator wings) and the dark brown with glitter eyeshadow (sippy sippy). Sippy sippy reminds me a lot of shades like NARS Galapagos, where they are absolutely stunning in the pan, but don't translate whatsoever on the eye.

In Allura Beauty's live swatches video, once Sippy sippy is applied, she lightly blows over the shade, and all the glitter falls away, leaving a matte brown shadow. What makes the shade interesting and pretty is the glitter infusion, so I was disappointed that it would all essentially fall out over my face.

I also heard that while the highlight shade (gator wings) is gorgeous, the glitter fallout is very intense, and that is not something I would want for a face highlight or an eyeshadow.

As far as the eyeshadow, the top two rows are easily duped with my Zoeva Cocoa Blend palette, and the bottom row is duped in my Morphe 35T and Tartelette palettes.

The blush is pretty, but not terribly unique. On my skin, it would likely look like any other peachy-pink blush.

With a critical eye, I certainly don't need this palette. I still think it is lovely and one of the best YouTube collaborations I have seen, but I can't justify adding it to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment