Sunday, June 19, 2016

What I'm Not Buying: Jeffree Star Beauty Killer Palette




Jeffree Star Cosmetics, known largely for liquid lipsticks, has recently launched an eyeshadow palette. I won't be buying it. 

Upon first glance, there are definitely several shades I would be interested in, specifically Princess, Violence, Rich Bitch, Courtney, and Confession. I could also get use out of Vanity, China White, and Black Rainbow. That leaves only two shades--the hot pink and shimmery blue--that I wouldn't use, at least not regularly. 

When I first saw the palette, I considered buying it. Knowing I could use the vast majority of shades was appealing to me, but I was mainly interested in Courtney, the matte transition/crease color. However, I was able to talk myself out of purchasing because I have all of those colors somewhere in my collection. 

Princess, a light lilac, looks pretty similar to my Makeup Geek shade in Phantom (which I love). 

Violence, a fuchsia purple, looks like shades in my Natasha Denona palette and Too Faced Peanut Butter and Jelly palette. 

Rich Bitch, a gold, looks like a shade in my Kat Von D Monarch palette as well as shades in my Morphe 35T palette.

Courtney, a warm matte transition color, looks like shades in my Viseart Neutral Mattes palette, Ciate London Pretty Palette, theBalm Meet Matte(Trimony) palette, and Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance palette. 

Confession, a burgundy shimmer, looks like shades in my Viseart Paris Nudes and Sultry Muse palettes. 

Violence, a blackened brown, looks like shades in the Tartelette or Tartelette in Bloom. 

China White, a matte white, is duped in nearly every single palette I own. 

Black Rainbow is the only color that I don't really have an exact dupe, however, I highly doubt that the rainbow glitter will adhere to the eye without a glitter glue or when blended out. In that event, it looks like every other matte black shade that I have. 

When reviews of the palette started coming out, the few people who I trusted, who didn't seem to have an agenda or want to please Jeffree, said that the mattes were difficult to blend and that Rich Bitch was very patchy. 

If you're interested in a more thorough review, I recommend Tarababyz and Stephanie Nicole

There are definitely some pretty shades in this palette, but there is nothing that I don't already have and want. This palette also doesn't have the "perfect" shade selection for me to want in one palette to merit purchasing shades I already have. 

The shade selection, plus the mediocre reviews, makes this an easy pass for me. 

1 comment:

  1. This palette didn't appeal to me but after the controversy with J Star's racial comments the entire brand became a permanent pass for me.

    ReplyDelete