Saturday, September 8, 2018

Makeup Revolution The Emily Edit: The Wants—Review and Looks

Today's post started as a typical "Weekly Looks" post, but as I was writing it, I realized that it was more useful to make it a review of Emilynoel83's The Emily Edit: The Wants palette by Makeup Revolution. I did four looks with this palette (plus a bonus look with another palette) and have a review at the end.

The Emily Edit: The Wants:


Look 1:




Lid: Belle Violet (applied wet)
Transition: Prayer
Crease: Love Tons
Inner corner: Oh Heavens!
Lower lash line: Love Tons
Brow bone: The Cream

I was not a fan of this look. Belle Violet has essentially no pigment, and even when applied wet, it barely showed up and was not true to color whatsoever. Prayer also was lacking pigment. Love Tons was the only shade that showed up well, but it was patchy and hard to blend. Sadly, the way I felt about this look is indicative of how I felt about the entire palette.

Look 2:




Lid: Top Story (applied wet)
Transition: Hobby
Crease: Corduroy
Outer corner: Dark & Early
Inner corner: Oh Heavens!
Lower lash line: Corduroy
Brow bone: The Cream

Overall, I enjoyed the concept of this look, but it was very frustrating to apply. Again, I felt I had to apply Top Story (the shimmer) wet in order for it to have decent color payoff, and I found the mattes difficult to blend (which you can see in my outer corner). I do like the color of Corduroy, but like the other mattes, it was patchy and difficult to blend. 

Look 3:




Lid: Grateful (applied wet)
Transition: Cupcake
Crease: Laughcry
Outer corner: Pi Phi
Inner corner: Oh Heavens!
Lower lash line: Pi Phi
Brow bone: The Cream

This was my favorite look that I was able to achieve with this palette. And by favorite look, I mean that I think it came out looking the nicest. It wasn't my favorite color combination. Again, I had to apply the shimmer, this time Grateful, wet, and I was surprised to find that it looks much more yellow-gold than green, which is how it looks in the pan. Cupcake is a very disappointing shade that, like Belle Violet, has essentially no pigment. Laughcry and Pi Phi were difficult to blend. 

Look 4 (photos taken a few hours after application):




Lid: Pizzazz (applied wet)
Transition: Cupcake
Crease: Family
Lower lash line: Family
Brow bone: The Cream

Yet again, the shimmer, this time Pizzazz, needed to be applied wet to get any decent pigment. Again, Cupcake was essentially invisible. Family also lacked serious pigment and was patchy and difficult to blend. I took these pictures a few hours after application, and as you can see, the colors have faded and transferred on the inner portion of my eye onto the brow bone. 

Look 5: BH Cosmetics Weekend Festival:





Lid: Wicked (applied wet)
Transition: Electric 
Crease: Dippie
Outer corner: Swag
Lower lash line: Wicked (applied dry)

In comparison to The Wants palette, using the Weekend Festival palette was a treat. I really loved this look. I chose to apply Wicked wet, but when it is applied dry on the lower lash line, it had a good amount of pigment. The colors were vibrant and easy to apply. 

Overall Thoughts on The Wants

When I first saw this palette, I was really pleased with it. It seemed to have a good color story, I felt like it could make a lot of looks, and it appeared inclusive. I also absolutely adore Emilynoel, and I have to admit that I really wanted to have a palette that she made (or at least curated the color selection). I love how much personality there is in the palette, and between the shades and the names, it really says Emily to me. I think it has great packaging, and I love the giant mirror in it.

Unfortunately, that's where the positives stop. This was one of the worst palettes that I have used in a long time. Every single shimmer that I used required wet application in order to have any kind of decent pigment. Every single matte shadow that I used was dry, patchy, and hard to blend. The worst offenders, I think, in the entire palette are Eve Rose (which literally looks like nothing), Belle Violet, and Cupcake. On a personal level, that's really disappointing to me because Eve Rose and Belle Violet are named after Emily's daughters, and Cupcake is named after her cat. So it's odd to me that these very special names would go to the worst shades in the palette.

There wasn't a single shadow that I used that I particularly enjoyed, and by the end of the week, I just didn't want to use the palette anymore.

Without being too dramatic, I have to say that I am so incredibly disappointed in this palette. I just don't think that it's good quality, even for $20 (plus tax and shipping, which brought mine closer to $30). I haven't really seen any negative reviews of this palette yet, and I have to say I'm really shocked by that. I honestly feel like the Morphe x Jaclyn Hill palette is of much better quality, and I don't particularly enjoy that palette or think the quality is very good.

I really, really wanted to love this palette, but I don't. And I think the issue is 100% Makeup Revolution's formula. I think that Emily curated a gorgeous color scheme, but I don't think the shadows she had to work with are of high quality. This was the first Makeup Revolution product that I've tried, and I can't say that I would go out of my way to purchase another product.

I'm not totally sure what I will do with this palette. If this was any other palette, I would immediately declutter it. But since it is Emily's and it is such a passion project for her, part of me wants to hold onto it. However, I know that is flawed thinking. Part of me wants to believe that if I use it again, the quality will be better, but that's just not going to happen. And I have too many fantastic shadows in my collection to try and make bad ones work.

In the end, I don't recommend this palette. I HATE to say that because I know how hard Emily worked on this, but liking someone's content and "wanting to support" them isn't reason enough to buy a bad quality product.

For notifications on my latest posts, follow me on Instagram: @antihaulblog

* * *

At the end of this post, I just wanted to give another brief update on a personal matter. If you've been following this blog for a while, you'll know that last year, I had two major surgeries. This week, I found out that I'm going to need another surgery very soon and potentially more after that. It was expected, but a little disheartening nonetheless. When I had my two previous surgeries, I went a little silent on the blog, so I imagine I may post a bit more infrequently during that time. This surgery isn't as major as the other two, but it's still surgery and I don't know how I'll be feeling. 

9 comments:

  1. I haven't used makeup revolution before, but I refuse to buy collabs on principle. Because brands have to pay the celebrity, whoever it is, I feel like the product is almost never good. Even in cases where the brand is historically good at something, having to cut costs to pay the promoter never seems to work out, and I almost never see rave reviews on collab products. Thanks for your review! Your blog has really helped me turn around my makeup spending habits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely. I totally agree with you. And thanks so much for the kind words—thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the other surgery. It seems you've been dealing with so much this last year. I hope things go smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that. Thankfully this one is much more minor than the other two. Surgery is never fun, but it shouldn't be as bad. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad I bumped into your blog. I had seen the Wants palette and I loved the colour scheme, but was avoiding it cause I know how crap the quality of Revolution palettes can be. I don't have any, but I had seen a few my friends have and just didn't like them, they felt like chalk. The colour scheme was so tempting though I was really thinking about getting it. I couldn't find a decent review of it, everyone is so determined to be nice even about things that are not worth the hassle. This is why I am glad i found you, someone honest at last!

    Good luck with your surgery, I hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was the only one who found themselves hating this palette! The reviews on Ulta's website are all so positive... I agree with you 100% about this being the worst palette you've used in a while. As far as Makeup Revolution's eyeshadows go try their $7 palettes. Those are all phenomenal. Trust me, you'll thank me later. Their "Chocolate Bar" palettes are very lackluster however, very similar to the Emily Noel Wants palette quality. I thought your review was spot on though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can vouch for this, recently i purchased some of the Reloaded range and they really surprised me with the quality. I really hate eyeshadow lacking pigmentation or is too powdery, and the formula was neither, despite the low cost. I haven't tried much of Makeup Revolution shadows prior to this and I don't know about the other ranges but definitely try the Reloaded range, especially Newtrals 2 or Newtrals 3 which doesn't seem to be duping any famous palettes that I can think of.

      Delete
  5. I bought the sophdoesnails palette (first one) and I literally maybe used it twice. Declutter and won't purchase this one because of that..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree—I think people are scared to be honest about the poor quality. I know that Tati recently gave the palette a bad review, and people have been terrible to her. Makeupstruggles also gave the palette a bad review, but as far as what I have seen, her comments haven't been too bad. It's wild to me that people can be so terrible about makeup. But, like I said, liking someone isn't reason enough to buy a bad quality product.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete