Saturday, September 16, 2017

This Week's Looks: Makeup Geek, Fyrinnae, and Laura Mercier


Last week was my second week back at work since having surgery. If you've been wondering why things have been a little quiet on the blog in the past couple weeks, that's it. I've been completely exhausted. Under the best of circumstances I still get exhausted during the work week, so adding these other elements has resulted in complete and utter exhaustion. I barely even wore makeup last week because it was just too much for me. But, every week is a little better, and this week felt like I was getting back on track. 

I posted last week about a palette I made of singles in my collection that duped the Too Faced Just Peachy Matte palette. I use "dupe" here a little loosely because I made some adjustments to make the palette more versatile and closer to what I would have wanted it to be. And I have to say, I was so inspired by this palette all week and continue to be. I kept wanting to use it every day, which is a little rare for me. I was also inspired to try out slightly different color schemes that I'm used to (while still trying to be "work-appropriate"), and I have to say that I had a really fun week. For the exception of lid shades, all shadows I used this week are in this dupe palette. 

(I'm still a little rusty with taking daily look pictures, so please forgive some of the photo quality.)

Here are four look I did this week. 

Look 1: Makeup Geek Mai Tai 




Mai Tai on the lid, Costal Scents Peach Petal blended into the crease as a transition shade, and Colourpop Wait For It and Making Moves blended into the crease. 

Look 2: Fyrinnae Rapunzel Had Extensions





Rapunzel Had Extensions (over Pixie Epoxy) on the lid, Makeup Geek Peach Smoothie blended into the crease as a transition shade, Coloupop Wait For It blended into the crease, and Coloupop Making Moves lightly padded onto the outer corner. 

Look 3: Laura Mercier African Violet





African Violet on the lid, Costal Scents Peach Petal blended into the crease as a transition shade, Colurpop Making Moves and Stay Golden blended into the crease, and Makeup Geek Bitten padded onto the outer corner. 

Look 4: Fyrinnae Winter Again 





Winter Again on the lid (over Pixie Epoxy), Costal Scents Peach Petal blended into the crease as a transition shade, Colourpop Wait For It and Making Moves blended into the crease, and Colourpop Stay Golden padded onto the outer corner. 


At this point I have talked about all of these eyeshadows before, and I love them all, which is why they are still in my collection. So I'm going to talk about the overall looks. 

Look 1: Makeup Geek Mai Tai 

I think this look turned out fine. I think it's a pretty look; it's simple and neutral and something that I think a lot of people can wear and feel like they're wearing color. I've gotten so many compliments when wearing Mai Tai because it has the beautiful duo chrome that's hard to capture in a photo. Looking at my peach palette this week, Mai Tai was the first shadow I thought to make a look, which I think makes sense. It's an easy shadow and color scheme. This was probably my least favorite look this week, but not because I didn't like it. I just liked some of the other color combinations a little better. But this look was the "gateway drug" if you will that made me want to use the peach palette all week. 

Look 2: Fyrinnae Rapunzel Had Extensions

Every time I use Rapunzel Had Extensions, I feel like I'm cheating just a little bit. It's such a stunning shadow that I feel like it's genuinely hard to get a bad look with it. I typically pair RHE with oranges or browns, and while the orange-peach tones I used this week aren't too far from that, it will still a little different for me. And unsurprisingly, since RHE is a perfect peach shimmer, I loved how this look turned out. Colourpop Wait For It is a really cool shadow. It's one of those chameleon shades, and it can pull more pink or orange depending on what it's paired with. I paired it mostly this week with pinker shades, but the color combination of this look really brought out its orange tones, which I loved. I also loved how Makeup Geek Peach Smoothie performed in this look. Typically Peach Smoothie kind of disappears on me, but I was really pleased to see how it performed with the other colors in the look, and I love the subtle peach between brow bone and crease. 

Look 3: Laura Mercier African Violet

This was my favorite look of the week, and I guess this one is also cheating a little bit, because I unconsciously recreated a more intense version of one of my all-time favorite looks from my custom Inglot palette:


After pairing the peach tones with pink and gold tones, I wanted to try something a little different. And my first thought was purple. African Violet is one of my favorite purples because of how much gold is in it. While that might seem like an obvious flattering color, it's a combination that I personally haven't come across outside of this shadow. African Violet is typically a shadow I wear when I want to look a little sophisticated. I usually pair it with neutral plum shades, and I always like how it looks. So pairing this shadow with the bright peachy-pink Colourpop shadows was certainly new for me. And I just really loved how it looked. Every time I caught a glimpse of this look in the mirror, I was struck by how much I loved it. I actively felt pretty wearing it, and I thought it flattered my eye color and skin tone really well. 

Look 4: Fyrinnae Winter Again 

This is where things got a little adventurous for me. I had loved the peach palette so much with all the other colors I paired it with, and I wanted to try it with a blue. Ideally, I would have loved to pair the peach tones with a teal shadow, but I thought that would be just a little too outrageous for work. I was pushing it as it was with this icy blue. This is definitely a favorite Fyrinnae shadow for me. It's not like a typical duochome white-blue (like in ABH Moonchild or KVD Alchemist) because it's more on the sky blue side instead of the royal blue side, if that makes sense. I don't know how I feel about this look. And I didn't know how I felt about it the entire time I wore it. I alternated between really liking the color combination and also feeling like it didn't flatter me. I did receive a compliment on this look from someone at work who doesn't typically offer compliments, so there's that. But I liked that I tried something a little different and love that this dupe palette—made up entirely of shadows I already had in my collection—has inspired me enough to want to play with color combinations throughout the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment