Tuesday, October 11, 2016

What I Did Buy: Estee Lauder X Victoria Beckham Modern Mercury Highlighter


Estee Lauder collaborated with Victoria Beckham to release an incredibly luxe collection, which included Estee Laurder's famous and coveted Modern Mercury highlighter. 

And I bought it. 

I'll address this first: I absolutely, unequivocally did NOT need this product. I have mentioned a few times that I really think a highlighter is a highlighter is a highlighter. Once you have one good one, the effect isn't really all that different from highlighter to highlighter. 

And I'll say that's mostly true about this one as well. But, this is also the best highlighter that I have in my collection. 

Estee Lauder released Modern Mercury years ago. I think it was either in 2011 or 2012, but it was definitely before I moved to New York. I saw someone show it in a YouTube video, and I was absolutely dazzled. I searched high and low for it (it had long since sold out), and was so disappointed to only find it on eBay for criminal prices. 

But I moved on with my life, found Becca highlighters and the Anastasia Glow Kits and realized I was never going to need another highlighter in my life. 

But then Modern Mercury was released again. 

It sold out immediately, and I felt just as I did all those years ago. Temptalia's glowing review of the product didn't help much either. As she mentioned, once she swatched it, she said, "Ooh, that's incredible." And for her to say that, after how many highlighters she has reviewed over the years, told me that this was indeed something special. 

I was about to give up on ever finding it again when I happened to catch it release on Net-A-Porter (a site I love). I didn't hesitate. 

This is a whopping $65 for 0.26 ounces of product. To compare, my Becca highlighters cost $38 for 0.28 ounces of product. So this is one really expensive luxury item. 

But, it is quite luxurious. 

The packaging is by far the most luxe thing I have in my collection. It looks and feels expensive (which it is!) and elegant, and comes in a gorgeous sleek gold and black compact that is a little bigger than the size of my palm. 



The product itself is gorgeous. It is Estee Lauder's Gelee formula, and gives an incredible foiled finish to the skin that really plays incredibly with light. I was stunned when I first put it on. 



However, I will say that is by no means a "must-have" product for everyone. Temptalia listed dues in her review, and I own one of them. It is the Tourmaline shade from the Anastasia Beverly Hills Sun Dipped Glow Kit. 


I swatched both shades on my hand, but it was a little tricky to try and capture the true color in a photo. 


Left: Modern Mercury, right: ABH Tourmaline
(no flash)

This photo most accurately represents the true color of both products. As you can see, they are nearly identical in color. They are not identical in texture or payoff on the skin, but Tourmaline comes close. It is a really beautiful highlighter and has been one of my favorites for a while. 

I absolutely do not regret purchasing Modern Mercury, and it is one product that actually lived up to the hype for me. Although I wasn't looking to add any new highlighters to my collection, this was a planned purchase as soon as I learned that it was re-promoted and received stellar reviews. 

However, I would certainly not fret if you were unable to get your hands on this product. Tourmaline is so close in color, and the Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kits give a spectacular sheen to the skin. And at $40 for the entire Glow Kit (0.26 ounces per highlighter), it is a much, much better value than buying Modern Mercury separately. 

But for me, this is a special and luxurious product that I will cherish in my collection for years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment