Saturday, October 13, 2018

Weekly Looks: BH Cosmetics Zodiac and Singles

I've had an interesting revelation over the past few weeks, which is that for all the time I spent obsessing over eyeshadow palettes, looking up swatches, and watching reviews—and all the money I have burned buying them—I really just don't like many of them.

In every palette I own, there are colors that I don't like and don't use. There was a series going around YouTube for a while were people talked about their least favorite shadows in every palette. Because it is impossible for a brand to put out a palette where every single person will love every single shade. And it is also very rare to come across a pre-made palette where you love every single shadow and wouldn't change anything about the color story.

And I noticed that in the palettes that I have duped or put together myself, I don't typically have a least favorite shadow because I replace any shade I don't like with one that I do.

Because of this, I've been using my palettes less and less and favoring my singles or palettes I've made myself. But toward the end of this week, I used an old favorite and was reminded of how how great—and rare!—it is to find a palette you really love.

Here are six looks I did this week.

Look 1: Fyrinnae Aztec Gold





Lid: Aztec Gold
Transition: Viseart matte warm brown
Crease: Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear
Inner corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl
Brow bone: Viseart matte white
Lower lash line: Aztec Gold

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Fyrinnae's Aztec Gold is one of my absolute top favorite shadows and one of the most unique in my collection. It has been a while since I used this shadow (mainly because I haven't been doing as many "neutral" looks), but as soon as I put this on, I was kicking myself for not using it more often. I just love this shadow and think it completely complements my warm-toned olive skin. 

Look 2: Duped The Wants





Lid: Makeup Geek Mai Tai
Transition: Costal Scents Petal Peach
Crease: Viseart shimmer purple
Outer corner: Coloured Raine Queen Mother
Inner corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl
Brow bone: Viseart matte white
Lower lash line: Ardency Inn Violet

This was an experiment, and I liked the look more in theory than in application. I really liked Mai Tai paired with Violet, but the Viseart shimmery purple in the crease made the look a little too warm-toned than I was wanting. 

Look 3: BH Cosmetics Zodiac 





Lid: Cancer shimmer
Transition: Virgo matte
Crease: Cancer matte
Inner corner: Center highlight
Brow bone: Center highlight
Lower lash line: Taurus matte

I pulled out BH Cosmetics Zodiac by the middle of the week and immediately remembered how much I love it. I wanted to use some shadows that I hadn't used before, so I started with the Cancer shimmer. This isn't typically a color that I reach for, but I absolutely loved it paired with the lilac shades. The Virgo matte shade is easily one of my favorite shadows in the palette and most loved transition color, and I enjoyed how it gave a little warmth to an otherwise cool look.  

Look 4: BH Cosmetics Zodiac 




Lid: Capricorn shimmer
Center of lid: Center highlight
Transition: Aquarius matte
Crease: Capricorn matte
Inner corner: Center highlight
Brow bone: Center highlight
Lower lash line: Capricorn matte

This was also a look that I loved, though I partially wish that I would not have used the center highlight shade in the middle of my lid. I thought it was going to be more light-reflective and transformative, but it ended up making the olive look a little too gold. This was the most "neutral" of all the looks I did with this palette, but I still thought it was interesting and pretty. 

Look 5: BH Cosmetics Zodiac 




Lid: Aries shimmer
Transition: Virgo matte
Crease: Cancer matte
Inner corner: Center highlight
Brow bone: Center highlight
Lower lash line: Taurus matte

This look is a bit similar to one I've done before, but I typically use a blue with a lot of gold in it instead of one that is more cool-toned. I received a ton of compliments on this look, and people told me that they felt it really showed off my eye color. I found that interesting because if I want my eyes to stand out, I usually wear gold or olive colors, but I appreciated the compliments. I felt a bit like a mermaid when I wore this look, which is never a bad thing. 

Look 6: BH Cosmetics Zodiac 




Lid: Taurus shimmer (applied wet)
Transition: Virgo matte
Crease: Gemini matte
Outer corner: Taurus matte
Inner corner: Center highlight
Brow bone: Center highlight
Lower lash line: Taurus matte

For this look, I was inspired by the Taurus section of the palette, which has a shimmery champagne and a dark purple matte. I knew that I didn't want the look to be overly dark, so I went with a cool-toned lavender in the crease and darkened that with the deeper purple in the outer corner. This is a look that feels neutral to me but also bright and colorful, which I love. 

I'm glad to have "rediscovered" my BH Cosmetics Zodiac palette this week, and I feel confident to say that if I did a complete purge of all of my pre-made eyeshadow palettes (which I might do!), this would be one that would stay. 

This is also why I personally was so disappointed in the Makeup Revolution Emily Edit: The Wants palette. About the formula and quality, I've heard so many people say, "What do you expect from a $20 palette??"

Well, THIS is what I expect. 

I expect rich pigment, metallic shimmers, smooth mattes, and saturated looks. I bought BH Cosmetics Zodiac for $24, but at the time of writing this post, it is on sale for $18. This palette, I think, has phenomenal quality, and this is what I meant when I said that I was not going to spend time to make shadows in The Wants palette work when I already own great shadows that perform well on their own (even those from less expensive brands). 

This palette is such a winner for me, and I still love it close to a year after I bought it. 

* * *

For notifications on my latest posts and to vote on future posts, follow me on Instagram: @antihaulblog

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I absolutely love my BH Zodiac palette and thanks for some ideas for new looks. The matte purples in the palette are so pigmented and blendable, which is nothing like most other matte purple shades out there. And, the metallics are so shiny and beautiful! My favorite metallic is the Aquarius one as it's 3 colors in 1. I soon realized that if I had just 1 palette in my collection, this easily would be it. And, like you said, this is certainly what we expect from a $20 palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why look number 5 gave you compliments on your eye colour. Something about the colours you chose really show just how jewel-like your eyes really are. Hard to explain, but it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete