Saturday, January 28, 2017

What I Did Buy: Colourpop Pressed Powder Shadows


A little over a month ago, I made a post about why I no longer buy from Colourpop. And in that post, I said that no matter the hype, I would not buy from the brand again. 

My reasoning for not wanting to buy from the brand was because I didn't like cream products and felt the ones from Colourpop dried out exceptionally fast. I also truly loathed their ultra matte liquid lipsticks and didn't care for the regular lipsticks. With this selection of products, I had no desire to purchase from them again. 

But then Colourpop came out with pressed powder shadows, and I thought that was interesting. I had no intention of purchasing any until I saw swatches on Temptalia's blog. The swatches looked good, which was a little surprising to me. More than that, there were a few colors that were pretty and looked unique to my collection. 

So, I decided to buy four of them. 


From left: Come and Get it, Stay Golden, Silver Lining, and Making Moves

I really love this color combination. Come and Get it (which was the main shadow I wanted to buy) is one of the prettiest shadows I have seen. And that's saying a lot because I own a ton of shadow. 

Here is the eye look I created with all four shadows:




Come and Get It on the lid, Making Moves blended into the crease, Silver Lining blended above Making Moves, and Stay Golden padded onto the outer corner. Silver Lining and Stay Golden on the lower lash line. 

This eye look was one of the prettiest I've done in a long time. The shadows all applied incredibly well, had great pigment, and blended easily. However, these shadows faded somewhat, which is the first time I've noticed that happen with shadows. 

Because of the fading, I'm a bit torn on these shadows. I think they applied beautifully, but they didn't stay with that intensity throughout the day. I will certainly keep and continue to use these four, but I can't say that I would be clamoring to go out and buy more. For the basic shades in this collection, I would instead recommend Makeup Geek or MAC shadows. With that said, Colourpop releases new shades all the time, so I'm not fully closing the door on ever getting more. If they release some shades that I am very drawn to and don't have duplicates for in my collection (unlikely), I may consider buying more. 

As a side note, I really hate the quad/palette packaging that came free with the purchase of four shadows. It is so bulky and takes up a ton of space for just four shadows. I ended up doing a pretty big purge of my singles in various palettes and created a new Z-palette filled with the shadows I kept. The Colourpop shadows ended up in there. 

I wouldn't recommend these shadows for a day-long makeup look that goes into the night. But for $5 each, I could see a customer getting some of the more unique shades for night looks. Do I think they are up there with my favorite shadows in terms of quality? No. But they were quite a bit better than I expected them to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment