Monday, October 8, 2018

Recent Looks and Why I Regret Buying The Emily Edit: The Wants

If you've been wondering why the blog has been quiet for a bit, I had surgery a couple of weeks ago and have been recovering, going to physical therapy, and trying to catch up on other work. I sincerely appreciate everyone who sent well wishes as well as people who have been tagging me in new releases. It's always so strange to me how the "holiday season" for makeup begins in September, but now that the "season" is upon us, I'll try to keep up with the anti-hauls as well as my other commitments.

Below is a mixture of looks I've done over the past couple of weeks, and I heavily used my Duped The Wants palette. But at the top of this post, I would like to say that I have been really disappointed with the beauty community this week, and I'm going to talk a bit at the end of this post about how that has affected how much I regret buying the Makeup Revolution The Emily Edit: The Wants palette.

Look 1: Colourpop Yes, Please!





Lid: Chauffeur
Inner crease: Mischief
Outer crease: Big Cocktails
Inner corner: Butter Cake
Lower lash line: Chauffeur
Brow bone: Butter Cake

This look was inspired by Elle S, who used the Natasha Denona Sunset palette. Yes, Please! was the last palette of mine that was still in NYC, and I left it there completely unintentionally. I'm not totally sure how it happened as this was one of the only palettes I wanted with me when I moved, but I am very happy to be reunited with it. When I saw Elle S's video where she used the Sunset palette (linked above), I knew I had to recreate it with Yes, Please! and I fell in love with this palette all over again. This really is one of my absolute favorite palettes, and I am so happy to have it back in my life. 

Look 2: Duped The Wants





Lid: Coloured Raine Dethroned
Transition: Makeup Geek Desert Sands
Crease: Coloured Riane Squad
Inner corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl
Brow bone: Viseart matte white
Lower lash line: Coloured Raine Squad

I really, really loved this look. This was something that I had wanted to do since the last look I did with Squad, which was paired with Too Faced Molasses Chip. I didn't like the matte black that was in the original Wants palette, and I replaced it with a deep shimmery brown. This shadow hasn't gotten a lot of use from me since I don't typically enjoy dark colors, but I had never tried it on the lid before, and I absolutely loved it. The entire look came out nicer than I expected, and throughout the day, I found myself looking in the mirror and really enjoying the color combination. 

Look 3: Duped The Wants




Lid: Ardency Inn Violet
Transition: Costal Scents Petal Peach
Crease: ABH Love Letter
Deepen Crease: Lime Crime Muse
Inner corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl
Brow bone: Viseart matte white
Lower lash line: Ardency Inn Violet

I was inspired so much by the look with Dethrone and Squad that I decided to go dark for another look. If you're in the market for a rich, shimmery purple, Ardency Inn Violet is the best I have used. I really love the payoff of this shadow, and ABH Love Letter blended seamlessly into it. I've been enjoying putting colors that I would normally apply to the outer corner onto the lid, and I'm interested to see what other combination I can come up with. 

Look 3: Duped The Wants




Lid: Makeup Geek Mai Tai
Transition: Costal Scents Petal Peach
Crease: Lime Crime Rebirth
Outer corner: ABH Love Letter
Inner corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl
Brow bone: Viseart matte white
Lower lash line: Coloured Raine Queen Mother

This is a favorite look of mine that I've done a dozen or more times with various shadow combinations, but this one happened to feature Makeup Geek Mai Tai. There's a reason I keep doing this look—I love it. I think it really flatters my eye color, and I like the dark purple lower lash line. 

Look 4: Duped The Wants




Lid: Colourpop Rosé All Day
Transition: Makeup Geek Desert Sands
Crease: Coloured Raine Squad
Inner corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl
Brow bone: Viseart matte white
Lower lash line: Coloured Raine Dethrone

This is similar to a look I did a few weeks ago, but I used Colourpop Rosé All Day on the lid. I paired it with Coloured Raine Squad, which is fast becoming one of my favorite shadows. I received three separate compliments on this look, which is a rarity for me. I love that Rosé All Day can pull yellow and green, and I like how it looks when paired with Squad. 

Look 5: Duped The Wants




Lid: ABH Macaroon
Transition: Costal Scents Petal Peach
Crease: Viseart shimmery purple
Outer corner:
Coloured Raine Queen Mother
Inner corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl
Brow bone: Viseart matte white
Lower lash line: Coloured Raine Queen Mother

I enjoyed this look, and it was the first time that I have used Macaroon in a look that came out dark. The shimmery Viseart shade worked well in the crease, and I think it created an interesting combination with Macaroon. 

Look 6: Cool Tones





Lid: Costal Scents Lakeshore
Transition: Makeup Geek Desert Sands
Crease: Urban Decay Boom
Outer corner: Urban Decay Untitled 
Inner corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl
Brow bone: Viseart matte white
Lower lash line: Urban Decay Boom and Untitled

I soured on using my duped palette by this point in the week, so I chose to do one of my favorite blue looks. I haven't done this particular look in a while, but it is certainly a favorite of mine. Before I started wearing color, I think I would have found this look so over the top and scary, but now it feels almost neutral to me? The brown in the transition really helps to ground the look into a somewhat neutral zone, and I really like how it interacts with the blue. 

Look 7: Fyrinnae Rapunzel Had Extensions 





Lid: Rapunzel Had Extensions (over Pixie Epoxy)
Transition: Viseart matte light brown
Crease: Lime Crime Rebirth
Deep crease: ABH Love Letter
Inner corner: Make Up For Ever Pearl
Brow bone: Viseart matte white
Lower lash line: Lime Crime Rebirth

To finish off the week, I went with another old favorite of mine, which is any look that incorporates Rapunzel Had Extensions. This is one of my all-time favorite eyeshadows, and every time I use it I'm reminded of how incredible it is. I've mentioned this before, but this shadow (and many from Fyrinnae) requires Pixie Epoxy in order to perform accurately. 

*********************************************************************************

To address the title of this post and the note I made at the top, I have been so incredibly disappointed in the beauty community in the past week because of this idea that has sprouted that people can't have different opinions, that people shouldn't give negative reviews of an influencer's product, and that it's perfectly acceptable to send vile comments to people because they don't like a stupid, insignificant makeup product.

When Emilynoel83 announced that she had a collaboration, I was so happy for her. She had consistently stayed out of drama for her entire tenure on YouTube, never took a sponsorship, and seemed to be motivated mainly by her overwhelming love of makeup. If there was anyone's collaboration that I could support, I thought, it was hers.

And so I bought her palette, used it, and hated it. I praised Emily for the color scheme (which was the only thing she had control over) and criticized Makeup Revolution for a poor formula. The same way I've criticized Too Faced, Tarte, Morphe, MAC, ABH, Natasha Denona, and others. At the time I wrote my review of the palette, I had not seen any other negative reviews, but since then, there have been a few more—most notably from Tati.

Because I'm not overly interested in stewing over the drama, let me run down these basic facts/events:
  • Tati gave The Wants a negative review and said the formula was bad
  • People descended upon Tati's video and said vile things to her for her opinion and experience and weaponized, among other things, her fertility
  • Emily said she made a response addressing this, but it was hidden in a "Palette Bingo" video; she did not name Tati specifically; said that she of course disapproves of bullying and that people don't need to defend her; but also said that she knows her "core people" aren't the ones inflicting the venom
  • Another YT personality made an "emergency response" video to Tati's review (eye roll) and trashed Tati (by name) for her opinion and experience 
  • Emily publicly thanked that YT personality for her "powerful" video
Deep breath

This all sucks.

It is okay for someone to give a bad review. It is okay to have different experiences. As I said in one of my posts about the palette, from watching Emily for many years, I know that she and I have different expectations of how an eyeshadow should perform. Therefore, I don't think that she is lying when she says she likes the Makeup Revolution formula or how her palette performs. And I am also not lying when I say The Wants was one of the worst palettes I've personally used in a long time.

Unlike Emily, I do believe that the people who viciously attacked Tati were part of her "core people." I also believe that I was part of Emily's "core people."

If someone gives a product a bad review, many extreme fans take that to be a hit at someone's credibility.

Emily is honest, so she clearly made a flawless palette. If she said it's great, then it is great. And if you don't like it, you're calling her a liar.

No, that's not how different opinions and experiences work.

I always advocate on this blog that you should never buy a poor quality makeup product just to "support" someone. They don't know you and you're not friends with them. You don't need to give them your money to show support. But then I went and did just that, which is something that I regret.

I think Emily added to this manufactured idea of friendship and loyalty by promoting so many people using her palettes via social media. I think that probably comes from a genuine place for her of wanting to celebrate those who like her palette, but I think it also creates an environment where people are even more willing to "stand up" for their friend Emily's palette.

And again, that is just so unnecessary and weird. I've made this comparison before, but imagine if my friend bought a pair of jeans that she absolutely loved. Now imagine she tells me to buy them, I go to the store, and they look terrible on me. So I come out of the dressing room and tell my friend that the jeans didn't work for me because I'm shaped differently than she is and we have different taste. Now imagine my friend spewing hate at me and saying I deserve truly terrible things to happen to me because I didn't like something that she did.

It's absurd, right?

Now imagine if the designer of the jeans publicly commented thanking my friend for her "powerful" statements.

Again, it's absurd.

I do not blame Emily for the onslaught of people who have been commenting terrible things to Tati and other people who have given her palette a negative review. But I do think that she has not handled this situation very well and I feel like she is sensitive to the negative reviews. And I get it. Criticism, even when constructive, is hard to take if you're not used to it and especially if it is about something that you poured your heart and creative energy into.

But people have different taste, and you cannot expect that everyone will love something that you made. And it's a much better look to accept criticism with grace and take the constructive feedback.

For the record, not that it matters, but I don't personally enjoy Tati's content and I don't watch her channel. Alternately, I have been subscribed to Emily's channel for a whopping eight years.

I think it's dangerous to expect that people should not give a review if it's going to be negative. I also think it's dangerous when someone thanks a reviewer for talking them out of buying something that others step in an encourage them to buy regardless and tell them: "Experience it for yourself." That's literally the entire point of a review—to help others decide if they want to buy or not.

The beauty community has been toxic in recent months and exceptionally catty over the last few years. There are so many things in the world to be truly enraged about, and someone not liking a makeup product is just so small and insignificant.

4 comments:

  1. Oops!
    My cat walked across my keyboard and I'm pretty sure sent the first part of my comment.
    I don't think I'll be buying Emily's palette's (even though I am a big Emily fan) after watching how long it took the "emergency YT reviewer" to blend them out- I do not have the patience!
    Anyway, I do not know that much about eyeshadow as I mostly wear just lashes & liner. I was wondering if you could recommend a palette for me? I like matte neutral looks with bold metallic accents & I definitely need a black shade for lining. I'd prefer a shadow with little fallout as I wear contact lenses. I was thinking the Persona palette or ABH's Soft Glam? I'm fair but have very warm undertones & green/grey/gold hazel eyes.
    Hang in there baby with that surgery ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm unlikely to buy Emily's palette because despite being a fan, I really don't like the makeup revolution formula. I can also probably dupe the shades I would use. As far as Tati goes, I stopped watching her eyeshadow reviews a long time ago because she usually did not use a shadow primer. I don't think it is fair to review shadows without a primer and then complain about wear or creasing. Negative reviews are needed and I always liked Emily when it came to that because Emily had always been professional when it came to giving a negative review. But people can change when their product is the one being criticized. In terms of core audiences and bullying, I have no idea anymore. While some of these people are stans, I think others just look for drama and try to fuel it as much as possible. This is why I stay away from drama channels and refuse to watch people who have a new feud every week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes amen to this! The beauty community has become a place of nepotism, cliques and money hunger. People support mediocre palettes in hopes that all the people they support will support them. People are hard on palettes that dont work for them and are trashed and attacked to no end. Come on now! This is a sad side effect of the celebrity/fan phenomonon. We've gone from relating to YouTubers to idolizing them- which is unhealthy

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I think it's dangerous to expect that people should not give a review if it's going to be negative" => I feel the same way. It seems as if nowadays, people downright EXPECT a video reviewing a product SHOULD encourage them to buy it. A review is expected to be always positive, anything less is low key shocking. That's why you also see reviews that are negative (aka when the product didn't work well for a person), it would come with a tacky title like "the truth about X, no nonsense, no BS review, unfiltered opinion". People have come to both propagate & expect reviews to be sugar coated or even straight up dishonest. I guess that comes with the territory, when people are so intolerant of an experience different from theirs own, and YouTubers who want to become popular want to please and not offend anybody. Most importantly, they want to please the brand, showing them how "professional" they are by being able to sell a product to the audience even though they themselves don't enjoy it. They want those PR packages, launch party invites, trips to exotic locations & sponsorship, possibly even a collaboration in the future. Recently Tina (thefancyface) has even had to title her honest review videos "UNreview", and she's one of the most honesty, thorough, no bars hold people I know. If that doesn't tell you about the corrupted content of reviews these days... My heart fucking breaks why time a YouTuber get straight hate or passive aggressive insults on their makeup skills or their life long knowledge of makeup just because they don't like a hyped product. And it's always the most expensive ones, like Natasha Denono's, or when it's attached to a well known personality (their online image is always so carefully curated that I can't even see them as actual human anymore, and it's not about fame, it's about the perceived personal connection fans think they have with the creator). I don't remember classic drugstore products ever causing this much riff, no one yells at each other over the Wet n Wild Comfort Zone palette, or those MAC collection with actual celebrities (Patrick Starr is their only exception).

    ReplyDelete