Thursday, October 13, 2016

What I'm Not Buying: Pat McGrath Labs Lipstick Kit

Renowned makeup artist Pat McGrath has released some lipstick kits that come with lipstick, glitter, metallic gold pigment, and a clear vinyl gloss. The idea is that these lipstick kits make stunning runway and editorial lips accessible to the "everyday" makeup lover. 

And I won't be buying. 

There's no denying that Pat McGrath is a respected innovator and inspiration in the makeup community. And I think because of that, the items she comes out with are praised enormously despite their exceptionally high price tag. The products are so hyped and sell out immediately. 

However, I've still seen several reviews that state while the products are certainly fun and interesting, they are absolutely overpriced and overhyped. And I'm inclined to agree with that. 

When I first saw the images of these lipstick kits, I, like everyone else, was amazed. 



The swatches looked incredible, but I wondered how the glitter and metallic gold would translate onto the lips. Turns out, it's pretty stunning. 




These photos are gorgeous. If I could buy them as large prints, I would frame them and hang them on my walls in an instant. Because they are art. There is so much artistry, from the makeup, the application, the mouth poses, and the photography. So, of course, my brain immediately tells me that I want this. I need this

But, why do I need editorial lips? 

Of course I would love to look like Naomi Campbell, who had people salivating over her ruby slipper lips:



But let's get real here. I'm not going to any red carpet events where this kind of lip would be appropriate and appreciated. I could see wearing these lips to a holiday party, but only if I wasn't going to be eating or drinking (and what fun would that be?).

And the metallic gold lips?


Again, absolutely stunning. And again, this is a photograph I would love to hang as art on my wall. But for me personally and my lifestyle, metallic gold lips don't really fit in. 

The Pat McGrath Labs lipstick kits range from:
  • $25 - contains one lipstick
  • $60 - contains two lipsticks, glitter, metallic gold pigment, and gloss
  • $150 - contains six lipsticks, glitter, metallic gold pigment, and gloss

The lipsticks each contain 0.05 ounces of product. To put that into perspective, my favorite lipstick formula, NARS Audacious, contains 0.14 ounces of product for $32. So, to get the same amount of product, the Pat McGrath lipstick would cost nearly $75 for one tube. 

That is exceptionally expensive. 

Another thing that bothers me about Pat McGrath Labs products is that the packaging is incredibly wasteful and not environmentally friendly. The products come packaged in colored sequins:

And really, I think the packaging is the perfect representation of the product as well. It's great for editorial purposes:


But not so practical for everyday use. 

Finally, while I can see the idea of these lipstick kits to be really exciting, I think they're just too much money for what they are. Tattoo Junkees has a product called the "Pucker Up Red Lip Paint and Glitter Set" that will achieve incredibly similar (if not better) results to the Pat McGrath glitter lips, and it only costs $7.


Similarly, if you really wanted the metallic gold lips, you can buy a metallic gold pigment and clear gloss for significantly cheaper and achieve the same or similar look. There are numerous tutorials for how to do this online.

It's always exciting when something new is introduced to the makeup game. As consumers (and some of us fanatics) we see the same thing over and over, and therefore innovation gets us incredibly enthused. But personally, I don't need glitter or metallic lips. In fact, I only own one red lipstick (and it's a mini!) because I much prefer neutral tones on me. Spending $60 minimum on a gimmick that I won't wear probably more than a handful of times would just be a waste of money. Especially considering that I could buy alternatives for a fraction of that price. 

I'm keeping my eye on Pat McGrath, however, and really hope she comes out with a product soon that will somehow be worth its price tag. Until then, this is just another unnecessary item that I won't be buying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment