Thursday, September 29, 2016

What I'm Not Buying: Kylie Cosmetics The Bronze Palette | Kyshadow


As a makeup enthusiast, I have been fascinated by the growth and hysteria (not even hype) surrounding Kylie Cosmetics. This was the first time I had ever seen people set alarms on their phones for a makeup release, refresh their browser as if once-in-a-lifetime concert tickets were on the line, and then see an entire stock of product sell out within minutes. 

And I have to say, as controversial as this statement might be, I think all the hype has to do with mega-famous Kylie Jenner and not at all about the quality of the items. 

So, when Kylie Cosmetics released a Kyshadow palette, I was less than impressed. 

And I won't be buying. 

This eyeshadow palette features nine fairly basic neutral shadows. They are so basic that I have every single one of these colors in my collection already, a few times over. In fact, the only thing that I find even a little bit interesting about this palette is the box it comes in. 


Now that is some cool and beautiful packaging that I haven't seen before. 

But that's about as far as my interest toward this palette goes. 

What I can say is that I think the selection of colors here (again, not this exact palette) would be great for a beginner who doesn't yet have any staple neutral shadows. Considering most of Kylie's fanbase is younger, I think the color selection here makes a lot of sense. 

But I think this palette is too expensive for what it is. 

The Bronze Kyshadow palette costs $42 before shipping, which is a whopping $8.95 for domestic and $14.95 for international. 

I'm sorry, WHAT?? That means this palette is $51 for anyone in the US and $57 for international buyers. And without even touching these shadows, I can tell you that price is exorbitant. 

The Kyshadow palette has been compared a lot to the BH Cosmetics Shaaanxo palette, which features nine eyeshadows and nine lip colors. 


Shaaanxo palette
Photo: Glamupgirls

Comparing the two palettes, there are similar colors, but I would not say they look the same (color-wise) by any means. But, the layout of the packaging does look exactly the same, which looks pretty inexpensive. 

For reference, the Shaaanxo palette (which includes the nine lip colors as well) is $12.50 before shipping. That price difference is pretty steep. 

Reviews of the Kyshadow formula have not been generally favorable. The quality seems to be comparable to BH Cosmetics and Morphe, whose prices are considerably cheaper. 

It is also worth noting that the Kyshadow palette does not come with a mirror, which is uncommon for a palette with such a high price tag. Yes, the packaging has a really pretty design on the box and on the front of the palette, but it is still made of thin cardboard and is not very substantial. 

When thinking about palettes with a similar color scheme, the first that came to mind (obviously) was the Morphe 35O palette. 

The Morphe palette includes 35 shadows, likely of comparable quality to the Kyshadow palette, for $23. 

In my own collection, I found a few palettes that have similar color schemes, all for similar or lower prices. They are:

Kat Von D Monarch palette (discontinued). This was $46. 

Zoeva Cocoa Blend. I paid around $35 including shipping from Germany to the US. 

Too Faced Peanut Butter and Jelly palette. This is $36. 

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye palette. This is $46.

For the exception of the Too Faced palette, all of these palettes contained more shadows than the Kyshadow palette and were around the same price. And I can guarantee that the quality of all of these palettes is better. 

But, the one thing I cannot take away from the Kyshadow palette is that it has Kylie Jenner's name on it. And for some people, that name means everything. When I was younger, if my favorite celebrity came out with an eyeshadow palette (or anything, really) I would have purchased it in a heartbeat (as long as my parents let me, ha) no matter the quality. I wouldn't have cared at all if it was the best thing on Earth or the worst. My fandom would have blinded me to it all. So, I definitely understand that aspect of this brand. 

But, for people who are drawn to these colors, I hope they can see that there are many other options out there for either less money or much better quality. And for me, I have grown out of that phase in life when I am blinded by fandom, and I can evaluate products objectively and based on quality. This palette is just way too basic and expensive for what it is, and I have better things in my collection. So, I won't be buying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment